Richee

The 7 ft Patchouli plant.

I have two Patchouli plants, one is about 6ft, and the other is 7ft.

They're now so tall that they tip their planters over. I was wondering if I should cut them back, steak them up, move them to an even bigger planter, or any other suggestions?

I was not aware that Patchouli would get so tall.

The one in the picture is as tall as the door frame.. you can't tell so much in the picture because I had to stand back and hold the camera high to get the whole plant in the picture. I also have it against the wall because it will fall over if it does not have any support.

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

Re: The 7 ft Patchouli plant.

Patchouli plants-that kind of grabbed my interest because, strangely enough for someone who has lived in SF most of her adult life, I never really thought about where that patchouli oil comes from. Do the plants give off the odor?

Well, I did exactly zero research on these plants-and I am far from being a master gardener, but were I in your position I would try to find out as much as possible about the plants-starting with the genus and species, because often there are several species of a particular genus-take the genus Viola. Some of the species are not even violets, but pansies, so it's kind of important to find out as exactly as possible what kind of plant you are dealing with.
To my eye it looks like a vine that has been tacked up on the wall, rather than a tall plant in the sense of a hemp plant (male) a friend had that grew over 7" tall (providing no intoxicants, but being pretty anyway). Also, unless it's a trick of the camera angle that container looks really small-I am not surprized the plants are tipping them over. Before cutting them back, find out A) If this is a vine, in which case a hanging pot may be a better choice or you can train it around stakes and B) If you can't tell from the soil it's in now, then find out it's preference so you can re pot them properly. Obviously they are happy with the current soil, try to copy it when you get a bigger pot. If you are not going to hang them, a nice, clay pot would be nice.
I wonder of they are meant to flower?

Sounds like fun.... :D

I gathered some seed pods the other day and I have no clue what they are. I am going to plant them and see what comes up...maybe it'll be something good, maybe not. It's all one big biology experiment to me!

Ghetto Gardener, The Tenderloin, SF
Shawna

Richee

It's not a vine.. it's a self standing plant, but has begun to grow so tall that the overhang on my roof is not providing enough light, so it's starting to lean outwards towards the sun. According to Wikipedia, they don't prefer direct sunlight... but where I live, it's almost unavoidable.

The planter is not as small at it appears. As I said, I had to hold the camera over my head to get a full view of the plant... so the planter looks smaller. However.. it COULD use a bigger planter, though I did not expect the plant to grow so tall.. has anyone ever heard of a Patchouli plant getting 7ft tall?

applestar
Mod

I don't know anything about patchouli plant, but if a plant in a container readily tips over, then it usually means the plant is too tall or the container is too small, the roots have filled it, and the soil mix dries out too fast -- have you tried sliding the rootball out of the container? If the plant is root bound you need to uppot.

When an indoor plant gets taller than it is convenient to move around or get through the doorway, it's almost certainly time to prune.

Consider using a terra cotta or glazed clay pot for extra weight.

Consider using a more squat (wider than tall) container for stability.

If you prune, don't cut more than 1/3 of the plant, consider how the new side branches would grow (cut enough for them to grow up; find out how you can process the leaves/stems that are cut; and consider trying to root the cuttings to propagate more plants.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

I agree-if the pot isn't too small, it's too light weight. I also wanted to mention that in 1986 Anchorage, AK growing a marijuana plant of either sex was totally legal! :P

If it's not a vine but cannot stand, then it's time for the shears. At first one hates it. but soon you'll either love it or at least deals accept the need. Getting ready for major surgery on roses-I have 4 plants in one pot because they were so intertwined both times I repotted, I was too afraid to cut. Thanks to someone on the Rose forum
I am ready to take a deep breath and do what needs to be done. The way it is now the plants won't grow well anyway.

Good luck, and let us know what happens! I'm rather interested.
Shawna

Richee

I trimmed the plant, and will trim the other one soon as well.

I put the cuttings in water, some of them rooted, some of them didn't. However some of the ones that did root and I put in to dirt, did not live very long even though it was well watered. The ones that I left in water, continue to grow roots.

Maybe if they root in water, they must stay on water, kind of like a Lucky Bamboo plant? The ones in the picture were sprouted in dirt, so they're used that that environment. Is there a more delicate way to transplant from water to soil? I never had this problem with anything before when moving the cuttings to soil.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”