Priyanka
Newly Registered

Please help me identify this white tropical flower CURCUMA

Hi everyone! I just registered here in hopes of getting some helpful information regarding gardening...mainly indoor/container gardening, as well as see what everyone else is growing!

I just bought a beautiful plant a few hours ago from the floral department of a huge local market chain. It's a tropical plant, very exotic (never seen it sold any floral shop I've been to in this Canadian city...though I've seen many other tropical plants being sold), so I need a name and care instructions please! It looks like some kind of ginger to me, but Google isn't being much helpful :(

Pic: . Image

another pic: https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/w2bz.jpg/

please let me know if you can't view this photo. I'm on my cellphone and it is SO difficult to upload and copy image urls!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's your second photo which shows it better
:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know tropicals, but yours is beautiful.

Priyanka
Newly Registered

I found out what this one is. It indeed is a ginger, Curcuma is the name. Thailand native...it's inedible. There's also a pink variety, which is more common. This one is harder to cultivate.

imafan26
Mod

It looks a lot like the edible curcuma. Turmeric is made from the root of curcuma longa. It looks like ginger only the fingers are smaller and when it is broken, the flesh is orange. Hawaiians called it olena and used it to dye cloth. It is what makes curry yellow. It also has some medicinal uses.

I actually have not seen any other curcuma except the edible one. Thanks for posting.

https://ntbg.org/plants/plant_details.php?plantid=3652

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”