landm42006

Plumeria buds falling off

Hello everyone.
I would say I am a intermediate gardener when it comes to my houseplants and everything else outside. Last year I purchased two Plumeria plants from Hawaii and and planted them in the right pots in the propor soil and waited for summer. Well, summer is here and the two plants are beautiful, green and tall and I was so excited when I saw buds forming on one of the plants, the other plant hasn't reached that point yet. The buds started to swell and then one by one they would blacken and break off. My heart is breaking every day when I see another one fall off. I have been patiently waiting all year for the beautiful flowers and I don't know if I'm going to get any. I have been fertilizing bi-weekly, but we have been getting rain almost every day and it's nasty humid, but I know it's like that in Hawaii so that shouldn't effect them that way. I don't water since the rain has been doing that job so I'm kind of at a loss. Can someone please help?? The 2 plants look very healthy and are growing like weeds, they have no bugs and to be honest, I tend to baby them from the weather. I hope someone can help, I would love to get some flowers this year. Thank you so much for your response. Have a nice day. : )

imafan26
Mod

Although plumeria are associated with Hawaii and they do grow well here, they are not native. The plumeria hails from central America, down as far as Brazil, Mexico and the Caribbean.

They actually do not grow all that nicely in very wet and cold areas. They will survive but moss and mold will grow on them and they won't be all that pretty. They actually do better in the drier parts of the islands.
If it has been raining and the plumeria does not get a chance to dry out it the pot, move it under the eaves on raised blocks until the rain stops. Remember you will actually have to water the plumeria under the eaves. Plumeria can rot from getting too much water.

The buds turning black and falling off may be from the rain. Plumerias are susceptible to fungal infections so check for that.

https://www.mauiplumeriagardens.com/images/pcb1_2.pdf

landm42006

Hello, and thank you so very much for responding to my question. My plants are under the eves of the deck and I try to shield them from the rain as much as possible. I know NC isn't the right conditions to grow these types of plants here, but you never know, stranger things have happened. The rest of the plants are beautiful and they keep on growing like weeds so I will continue to fertilize and baby them and pray for flowers. Again, thank you for your response and if you happen to pass by a Plumeria flower, please enjoy the intoxicating scent for me. Have a wonderful day.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”