Kim McBride
Newly Registered

Has anyone successfully grown cucumbers in a container?

Any tips? This is my first time growing cucumber in a container. Do I need to trellis these or let them drape over onto the ground? I left plenty of space behind the containers so they could trail down and run along the back of the house.

I'm grateful for advice from anyone who has tried this. :D

Kim
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Kim McBride
Newly Registered

Here is a better picture of the cucumbers and their container.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

imafan26
Mod

I have grown cucumbers in containers before. They do ok, the containers need to be watered daily. I use a tomato cage for a trellis.

I don't plant so much in decorative containers, I prefer to plant vegetables in 5 gallon or bigger containers. I find the 18 gallon containers to be the best for most plants. It contains enough root volume for most plants, and does not dry out as fast. I have grown cucumbers in 3 gallon pots but they are better in 5 gallons. I only plant one cucumber in a 3 gallon pot, but I can get a couple on the same trellis in a 5 gallon pot.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can let them sprawl or trellis them. Trellising will save space and also keep the fruit in better condition. I suggest giving them some shade during the day as well since they are in a container.

goingreenhouse

I have grown cucumbers in several different types of containers. I have found the ones that have a water reservoir in the bottom work best. We had them climb and sprawl, it did not matter they went nuts. It is very important that they have afternoon shade though. Good luck with your plants. :) :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”