dsyukon

GROWING MINT IN A CONTAINER BOX

My wife wants me to grow her some mint. I have a 28 x 38 wood box and would like any advise on the way to go, would 5 gal. buckets be better ?

Thank you in advance.
ERYN & FRIENDS

DIRTY ~ D'S ~ BBQ

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: GROWING MINT IN A CONTAINER BOX

A 28 x 38" box would give you enough mint for your county. One 5 gallon bucket would probably give you all the mint any reasonable person would want - mint doesn't mind being pretty crowded. What is she planning to do with all the mint? If you are just clipping it to use for cooking, it grows back about as fast as you clip it.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I have mint in a window-type box. It actually works out quite well as it hasn't spread anywhere else in my garden and comes back every year. Works great for smoothies, sweat tea, & mojitos. But yeah - grows back faster than I can use it!

imafan26
Mod

I keep mine in 10 inch bowls and hanging baskets. They don't need a lot of depth either. Make sure they do not escape. They are very invasive.

There are all kinds of mint with different flavors. I have chocolate, peppermint, spearmint, pineapple, and lime mint. I have orange mint too, but I prefer the lime mint instead.

Mints in containers will eventually strangle themselves. I lift the mint out of my hanging baskets when they look really full and check the roots. If the roots are winding around the pot, I know it is time to take a bread knife to it and divide the plant.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote: Mints in containers will eventually strangle themselves. I lift the mint out of my hanging baskets when they look really full and check the roots. If the roots are winding around the pot, I know it is time to take a bread knife to it and divide the plant.
What do you mean by divide the plant? The mint I have is going on its 3rd year...maybe 4th. I'm amazed its still going really. Do you mean you cut them down the middle? Ot just cut the bottom of and fill in soil and let it grow more roots?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, no don't cut the bottom off. Cut it down the middle in to two or three plants and pot them up individually, so they have more room. If there are roots circling around the outside, loosen those up so they hang down.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

imafan26
Mod

That's right. When the mint looks really luscious is usually the time it needs dividing. If the mint is not divided soon enough, the leaves start shrinking and there will be bare spots in the middle of the pot. Eventually the mint will die if the roots keep winding.

I get a bread knife and cut my mint into four sections. I cut it more or less like a pie (I have it in a round bowl). The bread knife works well because it is long and has a serrated edge. I pot up each section individually. After awhile, I have too many pots of mint and I just keep one section and bag the rest.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”