roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Morning Glories

My hubby got me a couple of packets of mg, and I decided to plant4 of them to see if I could possibly give them a head start, as you can see by this picture, it worked!Image

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I'd put them in something with a more soil or in the ground and give them strings to climb on.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

If it is warm enough tomorrow and stops raining long enough I will plant them. I have several more in the packet and thought that I would try not knicking or soaking them and see how that works out. If I knicked every one I would be knicking most of the night!LOL. I have 49 that I am going to try that on and if they don't come up I have another full packet to soak and plant, so I am going to try to have Heavenly Blue morning glories everywhere!

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I took the morning glories out of the picture window because they were getting too much sun and too much heat(I did not think that was possible)! I put them on my bookcase again, I checked and I had to drain the bowl that is under the pot where the mgs are. The water was stinky too :eek: So I have a flourescent lamp sort of on it and it hopefully it will recover, it has a string going from the one support over the clip on the wall and down to the dowel rod in the same pot. So I will try to take a picture and maybe you can tell me if I can turn this around.Image

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What made you think they were getting too much sun? Morning glories are full sun plants. Nearly impossible for them too get too much sun in a window, though not necessarily impossible to have too much heat, especially if there was a curtain or something behind them trapping the heat.

But the stinky water sounds like they were staying way too wet, either in soil that didn't drain or over watered and left to sit in water in the saucer.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There are bounteous stands of morning glories on the side of the freeway (Interstate) near my house here in the S.F. Bay Area. Talk about full sun and no provided water! From your description, I'd suggest that the roots are suffering from root rot--they sat in water much too long. :(

A full-sun window (or balcony, if you have one) with good air circulation is what these babies need. As Rainbow suggested, trapping the flower pot between a window and a curtain will suffocate them (trapped heat), but in general morning glories *like* full sun and good warmth, as well as the greatest volume of fresh air you can give them.

Water when the surface feels dry. Let the water drain through, and toss the drained-through water immediately.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Ok, I will put them back in the window, I did drain the water and boy was it stinky! I would rather have them beside me on the bookcase shelf with the lamp, the ceiling fan will be on most of the time and it does provide air to the mgs. So I think I will leave it where it is, because when I grew them there before, they actually bloomed.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”