sepeters

peppers...fungal infection or over-fertilization?

I recently up-potted a yellow bell and a pablano into 10 and 5 gallon containers, respectively. The peppers were thoroughly hardened off and don't have visible pests on the plants or in the soil. :?

The last few days I noticed the outer edges of some of the leaves turning brown, lookin a little crispy and slightly curled. Today there were a few holes on the outer edge of the bell's leaves and upon closer inspection the crooks of the plants where new growth is coming in are turning black! :cry: Is this possibly some kind of fungus? Or did I put too much manure in my potting mix? I've never burned plants by over-ferting, so not sure what to look for. I am leaning toward that only because I still have one red bell the same size as the yellow in a 4 inch pot that I have not up-potted yet (lazy O:) ) and one purple bell seedling that are not showing any signs of this problem. If it were a fungus wouldn't all the peppers have it? And if it is a fungus are my eggplants and tomatoes also susceptible?!? :eek:

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

If it is the leaves just at the top, and they were mine, I would think too much water[not enough drainage] if it's all over the plant I would think I overdid it with fertilization.

If it is only these plants and not others that were fed and watered differently, that would eliminate the thought of fungal infection for me.

sepeters

Thanks. I will drill some more holes in the container and try watering them a bit less. If there's more drainage some of the fertilizer should wash out. Can't go wrong if I address all the possibilities. :) I sprayed with neem last week too, just in case. The black spots are still there, but don't look as dark.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I've heard about neem. What is an antifungal?

applestar
Mod

Good to hear it's looking better. Maybe you caught it in time. If its fertilizer burn, you want to really flush the soil ...soak and drain -- I think THREE times is what they do in commercial greenhouses.

Anti-fungal would prevent or cure fungal infection.
Neem oil was mentioned, teatree oil, hydrogen peroxicide, baking powder, milk, and AACT are other organic/home remedy solutions. Some are stronger and kills the fungus, others are more of a preventive.

Milk solution is controversial regarding degree of effectiveness, but has been shown to be a good preventive for grape fungal disease and some others. I like using it because there's not much chance of burning the leaves, etc. and I don't mind the spray getting on me at all. I start spraying practically everything when the mid-Atlantic humid/muggy season begins. Original premise was that the lactobacilli cultured in the milk kills/outcompetes the fungi, but apparently there is some scientific dispute. I have seen a greenhouse plant handling guide advocating dipping hands in 37% (I think) protein powdered milk solution before handling diseased plants to prevent spreading the disease by contact. I posted a link to it once or twice.

AACT foliar spray definitely fosters a more diverse phytosphere micro-biology that competes with malignant infectious fungi as well as promotes overall health of the plant to improve its own immune system. A thorough foliage spraying also treats the soil along the dripline. I like to alternate weekly with the milk spray.

Some commercial organic/biological anti-fungal contain isolated, lab-grown, and concentrated bacteria or fungi that are "naturally occurring".

sepeters

Thanks, applestar! I gave it a good flush like you recommended, three times in one day. The third time I watered in some cinnamon, since I am not sure if it's a fungus of some kind and was worried about the roots being so wet. Normally the pot would dry out very quickly but we seem to be actually experiencing spring in Phoenix this year. 8) Highs are around 90, but only for about an hour or so and night time temps are still in the 50s and 60s, so I have only had to water every 3 (or so) days. :mrgreen: Hurray for not-summer-yet!

I'm not sure if the cinnamon will work the way I'm hoping, especially if it's not a soil fungus, but it can't hurt, right? I do have some tea tree oil but am afraid of its potency. I've seen you recommend the milk solution before and have been curious to try it. I have a casein allergy and therefore do not normally have any dairy products around, but I think as long as I thoroughly wash my veggies I wouldn't have a reaction to milk being on the plants. I think. :P This is the only thing I'd be using the milk for though. I've heard you shouldn't freeze milk, would it still work as an anti-fungal treatment after freezing and thawing? I hate to waste anything...

applestar
Mod

You might want to go with powdered milk then. Mix up only what you need. Can be refrigerated or frozen for longer storage.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”