lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Boxes and Barrels

Last year I used some large livestock protein tubs for tomatoes and other veggies. This year I have added large garden boxes to my garden to aid in weed control. The idea is that a definite boundary will give me encouragement to keep the inside clean, and I can use a weedeater and mulch in the walking area.

Hopefully, in early August, I will have healthy plants and not so healthy weeds.

LA47
Green Thumb

It looks really good. With that view, I'd add a chair so I could view the garden and the lake. It looks close enough to throw a fishing line out as you rest. :)

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

So, How Did It Work?

Although I consistently plant veggies way too close together, I got good growth in the barrels and boxes. The plants were fairly easy to keep free of weeds. Except where the squash took over the walkways, I was able to run my weedeater a few times during the summer. Sounds crazy to use a weedeater in the garden but the pots and the walls kept me from hitting the plants. Here some shots when the plants were full green:

Tomatoes in containers were loaded, as you can see in this picture, but notice the lower vines are brown and dying. We have eaten, given and frozen a ton of tomatoes

More and more of the plants browned from the bottom up. Many tomato plants have been pulled and replacements will battle the August heat and see if they stay healthy until the Fall. The squash has pretty much given in to the summer heat, with some replacements on the way. Peppers, Okra and Beans are kicking into high gear. Okra loves heat. And I need to get off this PC and go run my weedeater.

Overall, I was pleased with the B&B method. The goal was to better handle the August weeds. I will add some new topsoil this winter and be ready to go next spring.

:arrow: additional discussion in this thread: Subject: Barrels and Boxes

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”