KarenJButcher
Newly Registered

Advice on container gardens in 5 gallon buckets

Hi everyone!

Our ministry has the idea of putting together container gardens using donated 5 gal buckets, dirt and seeds or plants to sell at the local farmers market. We would make a variety of herb, veggie and a combination of the two. The money would go toward helping our organization in the community.

Have any of you ever seen things like this for sale? Do you think there is a market for them? What do you think would be a fair price to ask for something like that?

I appreciate any and all information and input on this subject.

:D

Cola82
Green Thumb

I couldn't tell you what to put in it, but I do think it's a great idea. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have seen them some times in catalogs and at markets. I think it is a great idea. Hard to know how to price them, but I would think 3-4 well started plants in a 5 gallon bucket ought to be easily $15 - 20.

You can get the buckets free and the seeds very cheap, so main expense would be the potting soil.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

If you use the buckets to grow things put about 6 closed empty water bottles in the bottom of each bucket or some styrofoam to make them lighter! I would put like 6 mixed colors of sun flowers in each one and sell them when they are a foot tall. Probably get $3 a bucket Parsley would also be a good seller! Sell something no one else has like maybe 6 climbing beans in a bucket going up a wired two pole trellis! Imagination and uniqueness makes money! I have had my own flea markets for years and even my own auction!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This is do-able, and will take some thinking and planning. You do need input from a few who garden in your area for tips on seasons, likes etc.

You are already pushing the limits to start from seed and sell container pots for this spring season. A couple of herb pots come to mind. One is basil, and put in a mix of green, purple, lemon, thai. 3 will fit easily especially as you have depth for the root systems. This can be started from seed and out in 8 weeks looking pretty. I like herb pots with a mix of say thyme, chives, oregano. Parsley will get down in your heat. As for veg, patio tomatoes are always a hit.

Do check with your regulations. I can't go to the garden center and buy starts and make up a container to sell at the market. I have to start my own or perhaps divide. Also check on selling plants at the market. I would need an extra license and field check to sell a bunch, but can sell a few starts along with my fresh cut herbs.

Also as this is already in your season, you may look at what may do well late summer-fall. For example I sell a few basil starts in Sept for folks to pot and bring in.

Hope this helps

KarenJButcher
Newly Registered

Thanks so much, you guys, you've all given me great ideas to take to the group for "brain storming".

Please, keep them coming! :clap:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Don't forget to drill/make holes in the bottoms, or at least the bottoms of the sides, for drainage. And--container soil is *not* the same as native soil; container soil needs larger pore spaces.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”