danieldas
Newly Registered

Strawberry barrel

I just started my first strawberry barrel early February. I used a 65 gallon used wine barrel. I drilled out 25 1 3/4" inch holes on the side. Planted a total of 30 strawberry plants(5 ontop). I used 15 Puget Reliance and 15 Aroma. Obviously I punched holes in the bottom for drainage, added gravel, used a drilled through PVC for irrigation to the lower plants and filled the irriagation pipe with sand.

Anyways just wanted to share my project and hopefully see some other similar projects.

https://s860.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... 5262917864

divedaddy03

Re: Strawberry barrel

danieldas wrote:I just started my first strawberry barrel early February. I used a 65 gallon used wine barrel. I drilled out 25 1 3/4" inch holes on the side. Planted a total of 30 strawberry plants(5 ontop). I used 15 Puget Reliance and 15 Aroma. Obviously I punched holes in the bottom for drainage, added gravel, used a drilled through PVC for irrigation to the lower plants and filled the irriagation pipe with sand.

Anyways just wanted to share my project and hopefully see some other similar projects.

https://s860.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... 5262917864

I love this idea! Not only is it a simple easy project, it's beautiful in the yard.

Good work.

Wayne, SC

danieldas
Newly Registered

update on the strawberry barrel

You can see between the arbor with the grape vine and strawberry barrel I planted a Victoria Rhubarb. It will be fun to watch it all grow!

PS. thanks for the comment it is encouraging and I hope more people use creativity and borrow ideas to make their garden truly their own.

https://s860.photobucket.com/user/daniel ... 5274600764

divedaddy03

Re: update on the strawberry barrel

danieldas wrote:You can see between the arbor with the grape vine and strawberry barrel I planted a Victoria Rhubarb. It will be fun to watch it all grow!

PS. thanks for the comment it is encouraging and I hope more people use creativity and borrow ideas to make their garden truly their own.

https://s860.photobucket.com/user/daniel ... 5274600764
Aahhhh yes, looks like it will make some nice cobbler and pie! :) If I may ask, where did you get your hands on such a nice barrel? I love it.

danieldas
Newly Registered

My friend is a vintor and hooked me up with a 65 gallon wine barrel. Lots of wineries will sell their used barrels as they are only good for one use. In my area they usually run about $75 which is about what a half would cost you from the store.

But either way $75 for 130 pounds of 1" oak with metal rings isn't a bad deal. Not too mention if you are so inclined the top can be make into a nice cutting block for your kitchen. To do that you have to loosen almost every strap and as my frist attempt I didn't want to take the risk.

divedaddy03

danieldas wrote:My friend is a vintor and hooked me up with a 65 gallon wine barrel. Lots of wineries will sell their used barrels as they are only good for one use. In my area they usually run about $75 which is about what a half would cost you from the store.

But either way $75 for 130 pounds of 1" oak with metal rings isn't a bad deal. Not too mention if you are so inclined the top can be make into a nice cutting block for your kitchen. To do that you have to loosen almost every strap and as my frist attempt I didn't want to take the risk.
Alright, I see where you're going with it...so many cool things can be done with one of those barrels for sure. I need friends like that! lol We have some vineyards and wineries here in our area, I'm going to check it out. Do you have a YouTube Channel? You should make another, this would be a good "how to" video.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”