HiImAnnie
Newly Registered

Scale resistant indoor plants?

Hi everyone - Sorry if this isn't the appropriate spot for this - didn't see any place to post about general indoor plants. Lemme know if I ought to move it!

Anyway - I moved into a house with a friend a while ago, and she has tons of well established plants. I don't like doing anything with her plants, since she gets quite a bit of pleasure from them. But having plants helps me keep my sanity in the winter, as I'm sure many of you can understand!! :wink:

But she has a serious scale problem! It makes me not want to bring my own plants into the house, since I'm sure they'd get it (I've left them with my mom for the time being). I guess I should get some of my own plants, and leave them there when I leave (kinda sad!) - but maybe theres another solution? Are there any house-plants that aren't susceptible to scale, maybe?

Sigh, such a dilemma. :roll:

Annie

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I've never seen scale insects on my houseplants (of which I have a bunch). But if you do find scale insects, just dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and touch it to each individual insect. Kills them.

applestar
Mod

I'm moving this to Container Gardening Forum.

I don't have many typical houseplants. So far, I have not seen scales on avocados and mangos, though mango gets aphids (only) on tender new leaves. Both have been next to infested lemon tree and roselle plants.

I have not seen them on fuchsia or Norfolk island pine, or rubber tree (ficus elastica), though I'm pretty sure ficus Benjamina (weeping fig) gets them.

They are not on my tomatoes or peppers, though these both get aphids. One of my tomatoes is suffering from two spotted spider mites. Lemon verbena is also prone to spidermites and aphids.

Bay laurel is prone to scale -- I've given up on growing them. Aloe and succulents are also prone to scale. But so far, I have not seen them on my pineapples.

Did that help? :o

applestar
Mod

I was thinking about this thread while going through my morning routine with my plants....

First thought was that pests on indoor plants is a fact of life -- at least for me. You deal with them as they appear. That's why it's important to inspect your plants often, and incorporating this as a habit or part of your routine helps in early detection/discovery.

I thoroughly mist all my indoor plants every morning, and most of them get turned every other day for even/fair coverage with the filtered water misting as well as light. This turning is critical because often I will discover heavier infestation in the blind spot/back of the plant when the area comes into view. You could also do this when you water or when you turn on/off supplemental lights -- I think using automatic watering and timer for lights are convenient, but you lose valuable one-on-one time with your plants that could lead to other issues.

Scale insect infestation is not difficult to deal with in early stages but devastating when discovered too late. I've lost a plant earlier in the winter due to late discovery and perhaps too severe treatment on the weakened plant. I've tossed them away on finding infested plants more often than I care to admit -- mostly due to sour memories of days and weeks of effort to eradicate without success.

However, scale insects are not very mobile and rarely infests multiple plants in my experience. Usually, discovery is limited to one plant. They only pass from one plant to another when they are in contact. (Although I have suspected ants of moving them from one plant to another since they do feed on the honeydew from scale insects, just like aphids. More than once, I have discovered scale insects on plants due to unusual ant activity on the plants.)

So if your friend/house mate has serious scale insect infestation on her plants, she would probably welcome your offer to help eradicating them. Since this is a new arrangement, perhaps you might gift her with new plants and gently suggest she sacrifice the scale infested plants. You could probably bring in your own plants and quarantine them in a separate location.

Personally I don't use poisons -- anything-cides -- even on ornamental plants and particularly not inside the house. I don't use chemical fertilizers --nothing blue or green and no slow release pellets or spikes. (I put live earthworms in every pot :o) This kind of plant care philosophy is something that you may want to discuss before too long. You may also want to discuss how you would share plant care -- each care for own plants except to plant sit when one is away? Take turns?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I dealt with scale when I purchased three arboricola shefflera for my office. The infestation was pretty bad, but I was able to eventually get rid of them. I literally scoured every leaf and scrapped the scale off with warm water and a paper towel. The first day was very time consuming, but after that they decreased in numbers and eventually disappeared. The thing you have to be aware of is that eggs may hatch later, so you have to keep a watchful eye on the plants. As applestar said, getting into a routine with inspecting the plants is really helpful in keeping them pest free and healthy... although you can't control your roommate's care of her plants.

I do agree that the scale doesn't seem to spread like most other houseplant pests, but I definitely wouldn't want my plants to be in close proximity of infested plants. Having your plants in a separate room would help. I would suggest talking to your roommate about getting her plants healthy. Or you could just wait until the scale literally sucks the life out of her plants and they have to be tossed.

HiImAnnie
Newly Registered

Thanks all - its appreciated.
It seems like the best option for now will be to keep my plants in a separate room, which is no problem.

My roommate is constantly rotating through plants - repotting, tossing, bringing home new ones from Lowes or Walmart (presumably where she got the scale in the first place), and uses a fungi/general pesticide regularly. I will say though, she has an absolutely incredible jade tree - I think its about 30 years old. Its about 4 feet tall, and 2.5ish diameter, and blooms like mad in the right season. Stunning.

Partly because of this one, and its various offspring that she's repotted and kept going over the years, there is a contstant supply of baby jades for me to adopt and make my own. :) I've started there for the time being, and have it in my own space. It's not much, but it'll give me something green to tend to.

xoAnnie

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”