19ashe86

String of Pearls HELP propogation

my aunt had gotten a plant like this from her nieghbor. I said I liked it so she got me cuttings and I've had them for a few weeks now and nothings happening. soi was online today and stumbled across it by accident so now I knwo what it is! I was googling it and decided to try to re plant it in a different way. she had some ends just stuck in dirt half hazardly. I took them out changed the soil used a smallerish pot and just laid them on top

is this ok?? will it root better like this?? I REALLY want it to look like this: Image

I have some miracle gro plant spikes I can stick in if that will help....

lorax
Greener Thumb

It will root and grow just fine - don't touch it! It's way too soon to start fertilizing, and string of pearls doesn't particularly like to be overfed in the first place.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Along the stem you should see root nubs. If you can pin the vines to the soil in places to ensure that some of the nubs are contacting the soil, they will take root more quickly. Maybe bend some paper clips into "u" shape and use those to gently pin the vines to the surface.

Be careful to not drown it. Until it starts making roots, misting the surface just enough to keep it from being dusty dry should be all that is needed regarding moisture.

19ashe86

where do the roots come from? the little pea looking things? I gently pressed the vines into the soil a little to help...

how long before I know if this works/I'm doing it right or not??

I have the pot sitting in a west facing window next to my umbrella tree and starter spider plants that are growing roots in a glass vase

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

The green peas are actually the leaves. The root nubs will be little bumps on the bottom of the stem, the other side of the stem from the peas. If you can gently secure as many as possible of those little bumps to the soil without burying any of the leaves, that should give you the best shot. Wherever a root nub turns into actual roots, a new string of pearls should start as well. Your coiling method is perfect for eventually having a fully covered pot of dangling strings. It's been so long since I've done this one, I don't remember how long it takes, probably a couple weeks to a month and you should start seeing tiny new pearls.

19ashe86

so coiling it just ramdomly like I did is ok? how long before I get hanging strings and a full pot?

maybe I should just buy this one LOL

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Yes, the coil is good. There's never a guarantee of any cutting taking root though. If you like the plant and there is one available to buy, I would buy one. I haven't seen one for sale in many years.

19ashe86

seems to have gone down hll sincce the coiling... oh well.. come spring maybe I'll just buy one... or get new cuttings and try again in a smaller pot

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Aww, sorry to hear, but appreciate the update. It doesn't always work out, but it's always a bummer when it doesn't. As we speak, I have various cuttings throughout the house. Most of them look great, some aren't going to make it. Same plants, same conditions, some stuff is just chalked up to the mystery and fickleness of mother nature. Hope you get to try again soon!

19ashe86

if I were to try again I think I'd get more cuttings or a bigger already well started plant. hope to try again too myself this seems like such a cool plant.. I'd really like a 2 toned one Image

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”