applestar
Mod

:lol: Sounds like "gremlins" :o

Happy Days

Exactly right, they are members of the Bromeliad family.

I have seen pictures of them growing in the phone lines like that. Like so many plants, they can go rogue in climates favorable to them.

We have the same situation here with certain plants that were introduced and quickly became invasive or noxious. Even some of the native species can grow like crazy when the conditions are right :(

lorax
Greener Thumb

Oh, they're natives for me. I pull them off the phone lines and curse! But they're not nearly as noxious as some of our other natives, and certainly less than some of the introducees.

Happy Days

Can't say as I blame you. One of our worst invaders is kudzu vine, a non-indigenous plant. It's now called "the plant that ate the South". :x And the insect that will eat it also destroys soybean crops.

Is there a particular species of Tillandsia that grows on your phone lines or several different species?

lorax
Greener Thumb

In my region, it's a mix of T. cyanea and T. coccinea, which unfortunately look nearly identical until they start blooming.... I'm really fond of Cyanea, but find Coccinea's colour to be almost too pink.

Happy Days

How fast do they grow?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Well, I can go from clean lines to fur in about 6 months....

imafan26
Mod

Yes, thank you, tillandsias and bromeliads are in the same family. I sometimes forget that. Bromeliads are a large family. I grow more of the neoregelia, guzmania and pineapple (ananas) they like to be watered in their cups. They are sort of opposite of tillandsia's because they like a lot of water and prefer to be in the shade.

Happy Days

Lorax, that is fast growth. Being in a more temperate climate with winter freezing, I sometimes forget how quickly things can grow and take over in other climates.

Do you get alot of rain where you are?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”