19ashe86

Rubber Tree Plant Too Big For Pot!!

I dragged my rubber tree in its 14 inch pot downstairs today out of my office to take it to the basement to change dirt and give it a good watering. I realized once it was out of the pot there was NO LOOSE SOIL and it was dry!

it being root bound explains the yellow leaves occasionally.

I recieved this plant in 07 after my aunt passed.

I was wondering if trimming the roots is possible to make the root ball smaller so I don't have to buy a gigantic pot?? so I can just use the same pot...

the plant itself is probably 3-4 feet high. (from dirt to tip)

thanks so much for your help!

19ashe86

its only 2 foot tall... I just thought if I rinsed the dirt off the roots really well trimmed it up some and popped it back in the same ppt with new dirt it would be fine... I've heard of wing able to do this with other plants and was wondering if I could do it here...

Thanks so much for your help

I wonder where the heck I'm going to find a 20+ inch pot in wisconsin this time of year!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's true that you can do it with some plants, and you could do it with your rubber tree. The problem is that you have to prune the top back to make up for the smaller root system. Rubber trees tend to look odd when they've had their tops pruned, so I agree with MG to just put the plant in a larger container. :)

19ashe86

junk....okay... ugh... thanks... thew= table I have it on now will be too small I think.... I think I'd get a 20 inch... going to go look at walmart now...

19ashe86

got a 17.something inch pot at home depot for 10 bucks! plastic and its pretty! thanks so much for your help guys!

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

When repotting almost any plant, the roots should be trimmed. Remove any that are circling, mushy, tangled, way too big. Ficus respond especially well to this. There is no need to reduce the canopy. The plant may decide to shed some leaves in adjustment to the repotting, but they will likely be the oldest leaves, not the growth tips.

19ashe86

sure I buy a new pot add dirt THEN THEY TELL ME I COULDA DID WHAT I WANTED!

LOL OH WELL

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Oh, I didn't mean to make you feel bad or that you had made a mistake, and didn't realize you were saying you'd already repotted, just that you had gotten the materials to do so. You don't waste any time, which I admire.

Potting-up is a decent temporary alternative to a full out of season repot. That will give roots a little more room to grow, which can definitely help your plant maintain its' vigor through winter. It might be best (for the plant to be able to recover most quickly) to wait until late spring or into summer before doing that kind of work anyway. Excuse my oversight in not noticing (amidst all of the tiny writing here that ignores my text size settings) that you're in WI (so probably don't have a ton of sunshine this time of year.)

19ashe86

thanks so much for your help! when this gets bigger I will just trim the roots next time as I'm not buying a 20 inch pot for this thing my office isnt that big lol

I don't waste time because I'm super impatient which is why plants help me.. they don't allow me to be

dsyukon

My brother's got too big also, did we make a mistake by replanting in the ground ?

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Dsyukon, Ficus elastica is not hardy in zones below 10. Your brother's tree will be in danger of being killed by cold this winter if left in the ground. I might propagate part of the top part to start a new house plant that's much smaller.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”