evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Plants for small bowls

I need some small shallow-rooted plants that require a little sun and little water. I would like a flowering plant or one with pretty foliage. I don't want a cactus or succulent.

I have 3 small ceramic blue and white bowls and they need something in them. They are about 15cm wide at the top and about 10cm deep. The shelf they are on gets late afternoon sun but otherwise not much. They tend to dry out a bit between waterings.

Any ideas?

applestar
Mod

African violets? You could possibly plant more than one miniature variety per bowl. There are many choices in foliage and flower type and color.

On second thought, miniature African violets, one per bowl would probably be best in the long run.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

That's funny, that is exactly what I had in there. I killed them though when I went away for a week. The problem is that violets need careful tending and don't like to get dry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's too late to start them now, but for future reference, you could plant them with spring bulbs. Moisten the soil, wrap it with cling wrap, and refrigerate for 6 weeks, then bring them out. Hyacinths, grape hyacinths, crocuses, etc should work that way and be charming in your little bowls.

Other wise there are dwarf ferns and mini-orchids, but they would have the same don't dry out problem. There are moisture crystals they sell for soil, that absorb water when the soil is wet and give it back when the soil starts to dry out. It extends the time anything planted with it can go without watering.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Thanks rainbow gardener. I should have mentioned everything I have tried, I just couldn't remember them all at the time.

I have tried orchids but they are very difficult where I live and can only be grown in greenhouses - too cold in winter, too dry in summer.

I did have bulbs on my shelves in bowls and they did really well one year. I am looking at a bowl of plants right now actually. They don't flower well though due to the dryness and the shade.

Also I should have mentioned that the shelves are very short so tall plants get bent.

I think I am going to try to find clear tubing and connect some drip heads to water the bowls and try violets again. (We thought 3 black tubes would be very ugly).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have you tried the moisture crystals? Sold under names like Soil Moist.

LA47
Green Thumb

I think the clear plastic drip hose would start growing algie in it which would look less attractive than the black hose.

applestar
Mod

You could also try moisture wicking method. I'm thinking shallow plastic container for reservoir/base with access hole for the wick cut in the lid. A 2nd hole for water level indicator/to add water without removing the lid.

But really, African violets are very drought tolerant. You can let the soil go bone dry and still get them to revive. (believe me I *know* :oops:). You are more likely to kill them/stress them from Root rot by overwatering and letting the container sit in excess water for too long.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Have you tried the moisture crystals? Sold under names like Soil Moist.
I don't think we quite have those but we do have some sort of powder that absorbs water quite well. It also helps for holding water so the roots don't rot.

LA47 wrote:I think the clear plastic drip hose would start growing algie in it which would look less attractive than the black hose.
I think you might be right. It happens in our pond. On the other hand it will only drip for an hour a day at most so probably will dry out.

applestar wrote:You could also try moisture wicking method. I'm thinking shallow plastic container for reservoir/base with access hole for the wick cut in the lid. A 2nd hole for water level indicator/to add water without removing the lid.

But really, African violets are very drought tolerant. You can let the soil go bone dry and still get them to revive. (believe me I *know* :oops:). You are more likely to kill them/stress them from Root rot by overwatering and letting the container sit in excess water for too long.
Do you mean like a bottle of something stuck in the top? I have tried that - it all ran out in 20 minutes. I tried various methods like a fold of paper, partially blocking the mouth etc. Nothing worked for more than an hour. Plus I want this to look pretty, it is on my patio.

Ok so I am going to try again and look after them better. It is seriously hot right now so maybe when it cools down. Although I am sitting here now and it is threatening to rain, woohoo!

applestar
Mod

No the reservoir container acts as base for the planters to sit on. You tuck a wick -- this can be a long scrap of cloth, or thin woven rope in the drainage hole of the planter (easiest done when you are potting the new plants and the container a empty). The wick is moistened and dangled through the cover of the reservoir and in the water inside. As the soil in the planter dries, it will draw up the water with the wick.

If suitably attractive containers are not available, you coud paint the outsde of matching sized recycled containers -- I'm thinking cottage cheese and sour cream containers, etc.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh I see. That's a good idea for lots of plants. Only these ones don't have holes int he bottom. Just plastic liners so the water can drain out the bottom into the bowl. I have to be careful not to overwater.

imafan26
Mod

How about pothos. It is very forgiving. (Actually downright hard to kill) It can grow in water so it doesn't mind the occasional flood, but prefers to dry out before watering again. Water when the leaves start to droop. It is a vine. The leaves will be variegated if it has good light otherwise it will stay green. You can cut it to keep the length down. Grow it like a dish garden.
The other choices would be cast iron plant or mother-in-law's tongue (variegated dwarf variety for color). Both of these are good beginner plants that can handle some neglect.
https://gardening.about.com/od/specifich ... Pothos.htm :?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:How about pothos. It is very forgiving. (Actually downright hard to kill) It can grow in water so it doesn't mind the occasional flood, but prefers to dry out before watering again. Water when the leaves start to droop. It is a vine. The leaves will be variegated if it has good light otherwise it will stay green. You can cut it to keep the length down. Grow it like a dish garden.
The other choices would be cast iron plant or mother-in-law's tongue (variegated dwarf variety for color). Both of these are good beginner plants that can handle some neglect.
https://gardening.about.com/od/specifich ... Pothos.htm :?
Thanks. I will look for it. If it's easy then that's great because I don't have to worry about it but it will look good. I have a Plecanthrus in a hanging basket but the pot is bigger so I think that's why it gets enough water. I think Pothos might go well in that corner.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Thanks for all your suggestions. I found something to use that should work wonderfully; Calandiva.

I can propagate it from cuttings so I have started one in each bowl. I am very excited :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”