Meatyallstar

Got a Lady palm.

How do you keep this type of palm. Its only about 18 inches tall now, small enough to stand on my computer monitor. But I know they get 5 feet or bigger?

Also I repotted the Philodendron and got a light fixture for it., when do I water it, I havn't watered it sense I got it.

Hortman

Hello Meatyallstar. Welcome to the Forum. Your lady can handle neglect but
prefers bright indirect light and regular watering and fertilizing. Outdoors
she is hardy to 20*F and likes some shade.
As for your philodendron, water it right away. It likes regular water with good drainage.
Regular water means 2-3 times a week. When you water, completely wet the root ball.
Let us know how they are doing.

Meatyallstar

Thanks I got it as soaked as I could. It was over watered when I got it, so I'm not overly concerned,.

The lady palm has roots growing out of the drainage holes, I want it to grow bigger, should I re pot in a few weeks or wait until spring. Would miricle grow organic work well or should I mix a mix for it at Linders?

Hortman

Hey Meatyallstar. Ken again. I would repot in a few weeks. don't wait until spring.
If you want to go the Miracle Grow route don't use the organic mix. Use the
Cactus, Palm, and Citrus Soil. It is not as heavy and contains sphagnum peat moss,
composted forest products, sand, and perlite. Otherwise, mix your own at Linders.
Make sure it is on the light side.

Meatyallstar

Thanks I will do that. I'll look at getting a bigger pot for the palm this weekend and repot it sometime in feb.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”