Meatyallstar

Questions About My New Congo Rojo Philodendron

On tuesday I went to Mississipi market and for 18 dollars became the proud owner of a new congo rojo philodendron plant. My questions for the plant is as follows.

How big will it get?

How much light will it need I have either in a north or west window that is blocked by the next door neighbors house. However in summer I have seen direct sun hit the room. The weathers been really cloudy these past few days. But I'll measure direct sun on sun day ( brought a light meter) and if need be after the holidays i will get a grow light for my clieing.

lorax
Greener Thumb

As with all Aroids, how big it can get will depend on how you grow it, how much pot space you give it, and the amount of care you give it.

In "wild" conditions these things can get tremendously big, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3-4' tall and easily as big around when you measure the spread of the leaves.

The good news is that it's self-heading, which means you might have to provide it some stem support (particularly if you don't have ideal light conditions - it can get leggy) but you won't have to worry about providing it anything to climb. I'd try to get it as much light as you can, and the filtered light in your west window area is probably ideal (I've seen Philos burn in direct sun, especially indoors where the windows act a bit as focal lenses).

Here, then, are some questions for you:

What sort of soil/medium is it in?
Does the pot have ample drainage holes?
Are you open to the idea of repotting if it's in plain old soil?

Answers to these three questions will help me help you. Aroids are fascinating and rewarding plants to grow, if you pay attention to their (admittedly quite few and simple) needs.

Meatyallstar

Not sure the growing soil- I got the plant at a co op- Mississipi market. It looks top heavy.

Its in a plastic pot and was over watered when i got it. As a result some lower leaves turned yellow they were removed- i haven't watered it sense i got it but keep the room humid for it.. and yes it does mildly need re potting soon, but shouldn't I wait until spring? I've had it about a week and its mid winter. This sun day the brightest day we have yet in our area. I'm going to measure the amount of light my room gets. I think its a north exposure either that or west. If it doesn't get enough light I will get a grow light from bachmens to put in my clieing unit where regular light bulbs now reside.

lorax
Greener Thumb

If it's going to live indoors, repot sooner rather than later, especially if it's top-heavy.

Ideal mix for Aroids is 25% peat or coir, 25% leaf mulch, 25% bark chips, 25% black compost, with a handfull of activated charcoal thrown in. That's very similar to the soil mixture in the rainforests where Philos grow (they're native to my neck of the woods) and has wicked-fast drainage while retainng water in such a way that the plant never really goes totally dry either.

Meatyallstar

I re potted both plants into there new pots. I used Miricle grow organic potting mix. Which has bark and peat in it. The peace lily was pot bound and the Philodendron mildly so. I watered the peace lily after transplanting. but not the philodendron as they like drier soil.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”