Doozer16
Newly Registered

Unknown bulb

Question...I used two new coleus plants in my pots and was digging them up when I found the green one had bulbs below. Another of the bulbs is about 3 times this size - surprise :shock: Can you tell me what plant this really? Can I save the bulbs for next year like a regular bulb?

[img]https://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y404/millerski2/DSCN0443_zps108c67f4.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

It really looks like a sweet potato to me. The leaf looks frost killed and soggy-limp, but was there a vine? Maybe you had an ornamental cousin growing there -- sweet potatoes are cultivated species of Ipomoeia.

BTW, the leaf doesn't look like a coleus leaf at all. Coleus would have had square stems.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with Applestar. And it isn't a bulb, probably a tuber, so probably would just turn to mush if left out all winter.

applestar
Mod

No, don't leave it outside. Keep in a vented, clearly labeled plastic bag in a room above 55°F and if you see new shoots start to grow, pot it up in a largish container of potting soil mixed with sand. Given reasonable care and plenty of bright light, you'll have plenty of (make that more than you'll know what to do with) new plants next spring. :wink:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”