applestar
Mod

Drip tray for EXTRA LARGE indoor containers?

So I'm starting to bring in my container plants. Some of them have grown another season's worth and need to be uppotted into larger containers. I think some will have to go in 4-5 gallon buckets, and I have a couple that have been potted in 14" clay pots. Not this year, but next year, I need to put my banana plant in a 20+" pot.

But I haven't brought them in yet because I don't have anything to use for drip trays. :?

- I remember a while back someone posted that the tray sold for catching washing machine leaks holds four 5-gal buckets exactly.
- I was thinking rubber horse feed bowl might be the right size. My brother has a huge stainless steel flat water bowl he bought when he had 4 German shepherds.
- I have one large container that I put on a large black plastic catering tray that held a pile of sandwiches.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

used one of the black flexi horse feed bowls - from TSC I think.

come spring I found it put a huge stain in the sheet goods floor - not enough un-anything to quantify the degree of my "unhappy camper-ness" as you can imagine.

fortunately whatever made the stain material eventually - like 3-4 years - "bleached out" - the spot has direct sun....

applestar
Mod

:shock: Thanks Dillbert :shock:
Scratch horse feed bowl off the list!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you look, you can find large size plant saucers on wheels.

Or just put one of the clear plastic saucers on your plant dolly and leave it on the dolly all winter

[url=https://bestgardeningsupplies.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=&LargePic=ALL&ProductID=141]17" plastic saucer[/url]

prettygurl

I will have to look for those saucers. Currently, I am using large aluminum foil roasting pans that I purchased at the dollar store for my 5 gallon buckets. They are sooo ugly but seem to be working.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

a note on the alum foil trays - tap water is often a bit acidic - it can corrode holes through the thin aluminum.

I use the big thermoformed clear plastic rounds - they last one perhaps two seasons (they get brittle from sunlight....)

from a Navy salvage yard I have a batch of medical grade stainless 'slop bowls' and trays - wonderful stuff but it's not something one can find in the store. the salvage operation was selling 'for pennies by the pound' - so it was a super good deal money wise.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”