Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Container gardening meets garden soil with open bottom!

Some plants seem to bottom out when the roots have no were to go in a closed container! For years peat pots were planted directly in the soil after the plant go so big! We mentioned growing plants in roof gutters then sliding the dirt directly into the garden. Placing a news paper over a netting in the bottom of a bottomless box that has only a papper and netting or even a burlap for the bottom can work for direct later planting box and all in the garden!. The box needs only be 4 to 6 inches deep.. Crops like lettuce ,carrots, herbs and some flowers work great this way!
+++
Setting a large container on some good ground with holes in the bottom of the conainer so that very deep roots do go into the ground works good for tomatoes in containers! I have used furring strips to make a 2by4 box with burlap netting from the back of a carpet for the bottom of the box! Roots can go right through the thin burap as it decays! Lots of old carpets have loose burlap that is excellent for this type of planting. Just a few new ideas here! Has anyone else used this method or something similar! Its like setting a small raised bed right on top of the ground with established beginning plants!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I like it Bobberman. I will only recommend that the burlap be buried under the soil. Don't want it to cause wicking.

We learned a valueable lesson installed a inground pond. The customer kept calling, telling use the pond must have a leak. The water level kept dropping rather quickly. Come to find out the fabric cushion between the soil and rubber liner was wicking away many gallons of water.

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good point! I noticed that when I was using paper on the bottom of my flats that it dried the flat quick especially when I had a fan on! Shredded paper actually works great with a netting since it holds the soil but allows the roots to move through it! I am supprised that they don't sell shredded paper like they do perlite and peat moss!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”