Nightowls

What size containers should I use?

I just ordered several berry plants and need some help figuring out what are the best containers for them (size/material/etc) - and which of them I should just plant in the ground.

Here is a list of the plants that I bought and what size the websites said they would be:
  • - Blueberry (Top Hat): ships as potted (4") two year old; mature 2' spread/height
    - Strawberies: ships as potted (4") two year old
    • - Fragola di Bosco: mature height 8-10", spread 14-18"
      - Purple Wonder: mature height 8-12", spread 10-12"
      - Elan F1: mature height 8-10", spread 14-18"
      - White Pineberry: mature height 8-12", spread 10-18"
    - Gooseberry (Hinnomaki Red): ships as potted (4") two year old; mature height 3-5', spread 2-4'
    - Currant (Perfect Red - Ribes sativum 'Perfection'): ships as a two year old; mature spread 3-4'
    - JuneBerry (Owen's Drawf?): ships as 1-2' plant; mature height 3'
Also, any potting/growing tips are greatly appreciated; I'm new to gardening and I am really looking forward to some berries next year. :D

Sue Sanders
Newly Registered

Hey, I know about the berry plants. :lol:

Blueberry, strawberry, gooseberry and currents all do well outside.

The strawberrys like lots of room and will spread out like you won't belive so I would put them in a sunny area and perhaps put a boarder around it to help contain them.

The other berrys do better out in the open (less bugs) they are slower growing and propogating. Don't need as much room.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

These two Extension Service articles have good advice:

[url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1647.html]Container Vegetable Gardening[/url]

[url=https://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/cepublications/eb1640/eb1640.html]Small Fruits for the Home Garden[/url]

Both articles have great information about caring for your plants as they grow. The berry paper includes information about pruning and fertilizing, as well.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”