applestar
Mod

Wooden Planters -- winter care?

I know it's still middle of the summer, but I had a passing thought about what to do with my wooden planters. I haven't really container gardened for a while so I'm feeling a little rusty here. :wink:

I planted tomatoes and peppers in some wooden window boxes and planters this season. At the end of it, what do you think I should do with them to keep them in good shape? Winter lows can get down to minus single digits here and there are almost always a few "deep freeze" days when daytime high remains in the 20's for several days straight. (Ahhhh... Cooling thoughts....:>)

Common sense dictates they should be emptied of soil, (cleaned), allowed to dry completely, and stored in shed or garage -- do you agree? (it just seems like a lot of work.... :P )

sciencegal

It would depend on what kind of wood they are made of, but if they can survive the constant watering of summer they should be fine over the winter. I've used oak half whiskey and wine barrels for containers for 5 years now. They haven't shown any sign of deterioration yet and the winters here can get very cold -- 33 below last winter.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Wooden planters don't last long where I live, but it's the rain, not the cold, that destroys them. They have to be cleaned and stored indoors, and even then, they only last about 5 years maximum.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”