Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Converting cold frames to raised beds and even compost!

Two of my cold frames I used as a compost for the winter then topped it with dirt and made a cold frame. later I used the cold frame for a raised bed. I even use my cold frames to keep my containers with plants as a mini greenhouse a month earlier that the last frost! Dig a 4 by 8 area ditch a foot deep and inclose it with brick block or any type of boards! You now have a raised bed cold frame! I like to raise the north side higher that the south side soit get more sun light!.
+++
I have even put several gallon milk contaiers of water in the 4 corners to maintain a better constant temperature! My main garden area now is about 12 by 12 and has 6 cold frames that I now use as raised beds with tomato and pepper lants coming nicely!. I kept the 3 by 8 cold frame filled up with compost and dirt to use as I need it . I always now build dirt up around my tomato plants just like you would do wih potatoes because it works!
+++
By the middle of august my composted cold frame has been dough down and ready to be used as the fall cold frame. The lower dirt now is saturated with the compost tea and will grow nice lettuce! Has anyone else used cold frames like this?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”