Momentum
Newly Registered

Is treated wood harmful to plants?

I apologize for this post. Right after I posted it, I found a similar post in a different area. It was here.
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2149&highlight=treated+lumber[/url]
I guess you can disregard the rest of this post. Sorry :oops:

I plan to build a raised garden for my elderly mother so she can still garden without getting down on her knees. The only practical way for me to go would be to create some "boxes" out of lumber. If I use untreated lumber, I can only expect to get a year or two out of them (I'm assuming) before they rot out from the moist soil being in contact with the wood but I am hesitant to use treated lumber because I'm not sure if it would be harmful to the plants and/or any fruit, vegetables or herbs that she may grow in these treated "boxes".:shock:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Because of my current situation, (property, financial, etc...) this type of elevated garden "seems" to be my only choice. I just don't want to waste all of the time, effort and money if it won't be "fruitful". :wink:

Thanks again for your input.

Mo

Midnight Smoker

well I'll post here anyways for those who care.

I personally use cedar when constructing raised vegetable beds. If you only plan on growing flowers and not vegetables, then PT wood is fine. The plants will grow the same, that's not the question. It's the chemicals leeching into the soil from the treated wood!!!! Some will say it's fine, and it might be from a health standpoint but why take a chance :?:

Here's what I do...

Till up the area where the raised beds are going. ** Add soil conditioner if needed. Pull all rocks, weeds, clumps, etc.

Set beds over area and add 3 parts (pro-mixbx or sunshine mix gbx) 1 part (wormcastings and mushroom compost mix). Hoe it all togeter and your good to go. This growing mix is as good as it gets. Mulch plants after planting.

You'll have the best looking garder around... :D :D :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”