GD001

Breathable Pots

So, I've been looking into breathable pots for root health and plant vigor, and I've come across a few products.
Living in Lebanon, it'll be way too expensive for me to order them to here, but they make them out of geotextile, which is locally available.
Has anyone tried sowing their own geotextile pots? Do you know of any tutorials or guidelines for the sowing?

Another thing are plastic vegetable crates. My university uses them to plant tree seedlings in for tree plantation programs. They section the large 50cm by 30cm (around 30 cm deep) crates into partitions that they sow the seeds into. The crate's bottom and sides has a lot of holes in it. So, it's good for root breathe-ability.
I was going to use it as a bonsai growing pot (not for training of course) cause it's a good size and is much easier than constructing my own out of wood. Plus, it's got a lot of holes in it, so it's good.

Has anyone tried out both of the above-stated methods for growing plants? Obviously they'll be for outdoor use but I'm sure they're a much healthier alternative to regular plastic pots.

Any ideas?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GD001,

Other bonsai enthusiasts, myself included, have been using pond baskets during the growing stage.

Norm

GD001

Thanks for the info Gnome.
I was thinking of using one too instead of the bags.
I feel like the the basket will be much more stable since it's a lot more firm than the bags. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GD001,

You're welcome. I forgot earlier I'm also using colanders such as used to strain foods. I've purchased them at the dollar store for, you guessed it, a dollar each.

Norm

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”