kschlese
Newly Registered

wet or dry?

I have indoor pots with plants ranging from rose bushes and tiger lilies to orchids. I try to water in 2-3 day intervals. I'm new to the whole potting thing and I have noticed that whenever I want to water, the top of the soil is completly dry but the bottom inside pot is still wet. I don't want to rot the roots or dehydrate my plants so I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have advice?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like your pots do not have good enough drainage. You need looser, better draining potting soil and or more drain holes...

Are you really telling us you grow roses indoors? For how long have you been doing that? Do you have lights on them? Roses are full sun plants, I can't imagine that they would do very well or bloom indoors.

kschlese
Newly Registered

ok, I bought the pots at walmart so I may need to upgrade and repot everything. and I have had the roses since february. they are small sized and I keep then pruned so they stay fairly small. they are only big enough for about five blooms max and they seem to be doing very well, on one I currently have three blooms and the other is being doctored because my mom pretty much killed it. they sit in south facing windows with no blinds and no overhangs on the windows, I also give them food once every two weeks. I'm not sure how any of my plants are alive but they are.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a fan of buying plants at WalMart, but a pot is a pot as long as it has enough drainage. Culprit is more likely the soil than the pot.

How big are the pots relative to the plants? If you have very small plants in very large pots, it can contribute to the situation you described, since the plant doesn't use up very much of the water you put in to wet all that soil.

These are indoors, are the pots sitting in saucers? Don't leave water standing in them. And you probably don't need to water as often as you think. I only water my indoor plants twice a month.

It's still pretty amazing to me, south facing window and all, that you have a rose bush blooming indoors. If you had asked me, I would have said it would not work....

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”