missymiss99

How to fix or treat the bad smell in potted veggie plant

This is my first potted vegetable garden, 3 of my plants have a bad smell in the soil. I goggled it and know why it smells. But I can't find any thing on what to to when that happens :( . Do I throw them out because they are not good and the vegetables they will produce will be bad? I was hoping to transplant them in my new raised garden bed but I don't want to infect other plants or the new soil. What to do? Please help me :D

applestar
Mod

Why do you think they smell bad? Only reason I can think of is that the soil has gone "sour"/anaerobic due to being left in water too long/waterlogged soil due to insufficient drainage.

Unless the plants are deteriorating fast due to root rot/damage, increasing drainage and letting the soil dry a little more between watering ... Or simpy repotting/uppotting with fresh soil maybe sufficient.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

missymiss99 wrote:This is my first potted vegetable garden, 3 of my plants have a bad smell in the soil. I goggled it and know why it smells. But I can't find any thing on what to to when that happens
Please share: why *does* it smell? If we know what you know, we can give actual, fact-based advice rather than making stabs in the dark (although Applestar made a good try!).

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

missymiss99

Sorry I'm new here, how do I share a message on here?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

She meant just post it as you have been doing.

Just give us a bit more information about what happened. But I'm guessing applestar was right.

missymiss99

hope this helps :D. the My pots did not have proper drainage, stagnant water. What do I do with my plants now? Can I replant them in my raised garden bed like I want to or do I have to toss them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Take the plants out of the pots, gently rinse the soil off the roots and look at them. If they are firm and white, the plant is healthy and you can plant it. If the roots are brown and mushy, the roots rotted in the wet conditions and the plant should be pitched.

missymiss99

Rainbowgardner, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I will do that. One more question little white bugs on the underside of my plant, how do I get rid of them?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”