agberg
Newly Registered

Looking for small hanging baskets

Does anyone have a source for small (4" or 5") plastic hanging baskets? All the supplier web sites start at 6" and up. Local garden centers only have small baskets with plants, usually pothos and succulents. Thanks.

NorthEastFloridaPlanter

I wanted some small hanging baskets to go along my fence posts. I knew they couldn't contain much weight. I found small canvas bags on sale in my local discount store in the craft section. I put plastic sandwich bags with slits cut in the bottom in the bags. Today, I plan to put about a 1 1/2 cup potting soil in each bag and plant them with 1 petunia apiece. If it works, it should be very colorful.

vivid
Newly Registered

If you go to your local greenhouse, they will more than likely be happy to sell you some of their plastic growing pots. :)

NorthEastFloridaPlanter

https://s1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/MaryMargaret14/Facebook

This is a picture of what I did with the small canvas bags. I'm really not too happy with the results, although my facebook friends tell me they like the results and so did a friend who came over to dinner tonight.

NorthEastFloridaPlanter

The picture didn't upload and this forum won't let me delete my posts. Sorry.

I will try again here:

[/img]https://s1048.photobucket.com/albums/s364/MaryMargaret14/Facebook

Never mind, neither attempt worked. Sorry, I'm new to this forum. If I could delete this, I would.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It looks like you are on photobucket. From there it is very easy. You don't want to link to the album. Go to the individual picture you want to show us. When you mouse over the picture, codes will appear. Click on the IMG code at the bottom, which copies it. Then come here and paste it in. You don't have to use any buttons here, just paste in the code photobucket gave you and the picture will be embedded in your post like magic!

applestar
Mod

I always have trouble keeping even regular sized hanging baskets watered. I can't imagine keeping such small hanging baskets from drying out.... What kind of tiny plants would you plant in them? :?

NorthEastFloridaPlanter

I have wave petunias planted in most. a few are planted with marigolds.

I tried different ways of potting them, not that it's made that much of a difference. I took 2 out of their original pots, pulled some of the root apart and repotted them right back in their original container with a little extra soil, then I put the pot in the canvas bag. Two I potted directly to the bag with small drainage holes cut in the bottom of the bag. Two I potted to the canvas bag without cut drainage holes. Two I repotted to a small baggie with cut holes at the bottom for drainage and then I put that in the canvas bag.

My friends like the look, but they are a pain to water. Too many small pots to try to take care of.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”