DiaperBagDiva
Newly Registered

Children's Shade Garden

I have never grown a thing in my life but my 5 year old daughter wants to start a garden.

I live in Phoenix and with summer quickly approaching I'm thinking something indoors would be most appropriate, but I'm open to any suggestions. I was thinking flowers would be the most fun for my daughter. I do have a spot in the backyard that gets lots of shade but its still going to be extremely hot.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I need step by step instructions here. I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm open to anything.

Thanks so much!
Ashley

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Shade doesn't do much for growing flowers or vegetables... I started off growing herbs and other plants indoors. Try buying some flowering herbs at a local nursery, you can teach your daughter that these plants have edible flowers. Just make sure she asks before eating anything.

Janet W

How about Begonia, Impatiens, Coleus (for foliage color and interest) Janet

garden girl
Cool Member

Hi! I have a young chilg also. Everyone learns what methods and plants work for them over time, but to make it simple, try this ;) Clear all weeds from a sunny garden area. Dump a few bags of compost over the area and rake it in. Place plant markers in the ground where you want each plant first, then plant your seeds around that, it is very helpful with little ones so they know where not to step.
Some of the easiest flowers are cosmos, zinnias and sunflowers. The cosmos will get bushy and produce tons of flowers, which kids love to pick. There are many different colors and varieties of sunflowers, some are giant, very fun! They attract birds, too.
Zucchini and other summer squash is easy. Melons and pumpkins just ramble all over, they are fun. These seeds (as well as the sunflowers) are big enough for kids to easily plant themselves.
Kids LOVE to pick strawberries, definately worth getting a few plants.
If you want shade, try making a bean teepee. You can take long pieces of bamboo, they are tied together at the top and spread out in a circle. Then run string around the whol thing for the vines to climb. Make sure you leave an opening to get in and out. you can use about 3 scarlet runner beans at the base of each bamboo pole. Make sure you leave an opening to get in and out. The plants get sun, but your little one gets shade.
have fun!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”