trailwest
Newly Registered

Advice for a Tomato Container Garden

A friend asked for advice for the her tomato container garden.
[img]https://cubicfootgardening.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0070.jpg[/img]
Here is what I told her:
Pros: The plants get full sun from morning to dusk and are protected from winds by the fences. The patio reflects light and adds to the total sunlight they plants can get. The containers are large and should accomodate a full grown tomato plant. The basil is a good plant-combining touch and will complement the tomato both while growing and for making Italian food.

Cons: The plants are in dark containers which will lead to high temperature variations for the roots of the plants. An organic farmer once told me that one of the most important tricks for growing great tomatoes in very hot climates like ours is to make sure their “feetâ€

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Make sure that the drain holes do not get obstructed. Also, loosening soil with about 10% perlite will help keep the soil from staying too wet in the deeper parts of the container. Sour soil in the bottom several inches of that kind of large pot can cause root rot. Constant watering will become a problem when temperatures get over the upper 80's, so devising some kind of automatic watering reservoir, set in the lower part of the soil will give more even water and will allow watering to be much less of a chore.

I like you comment about the black color and soil temperatures. I have not had a problem with fruit set, but it might make sense to spray the pots a lighter color or drape them with some kind of shade material

trailwest
Newly Registered

Alex,
Thanks for the feedback. I checked the drain holes and it does seem like they could get plugged up or she could get anaerobic bacteria growing in the bottom. Great advice.

I am starting an experiment in my garden with an SIP(sub-irrigated planter) container planter, just like you suggest. Still a bit concerned about this approach but why not try it?
Thanks for your help

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

A friend of mine used to grow tomato plants in one of the commercially available 'self watering' containers. Her plants always looked better than my conventionally grown container plants, and they didn't suffer the extremes that mine did with the irregular watering cycle.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”