petite2760
Newly Registered

Why does my Spider Plant have brown tips?

:( Can anyone tell me on this forum the reason for the Spider plant to have brown ends? Is it too much water or too dry. I can't seem to figure this one out.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Spider plants are very sensitive to chlorine. If you're watering yours with tap water from a municipal water supply, it's undoubtedly been treated with chlorine as part of the purifying process.

You can do a number of things to solve the problem: 1) Water with rainwater, if you have a system to collect it. 2) Fill an open container with your tap water and let it sit out on a countertop for 24 to 48 hours. 3) Put the water you intend to use on the plant in a saucepan and boil it for 5 minutes; be careful to allow it to cool thoroughly before using it on the plant. 4) Or you can use distilled water. Some regular bottled waters do contain chlorine, so I would stick to distilled if you go that route.

Personally, I just let a container of water sit out in the open for a couple of days, or until such time as I need it to water my plants. After a couple of days, I put the lid on the container and tuck it away in a cabinet, so it's not in the way.

petite2760
Newly Registered

:D Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”