veggielover2012

water quality and plants

lately I have been wondering about using my tap water to water my plants. With chlorine not being particularly helpful for plants, I wanted to know what other people on this forum did regarding watering.

I know rain water is the most desirable, but that is far too time consuming to do. I read that you can either fill your water container with tap water and let it sit out for a day or two to let the chlorine naturally release, or you can simply boil water for 10-15 minutes and then let it cool down to room temperature to be used.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rain water isn't time consuming if you have a rain barrel.

But I have 2 rain barrels. All winter they are empty/frozen. I use regular tap water to water all the house plants with all winter and they seem to withstand it just fine.

Either of the methods you mentioned works fine. For all the baby seedlings I start from seed, I do use water that has sat over night to outgas the chlorine.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, Rainbow is right. Only certain plants are especially sensitive to chlorine. Spider plants are one I can think of right off. I use regular tap water for most of my plants. I do often fill a half-gallon container with water and just let it set on the counter until the next watering.

Some plants are also sensitive to fluorine, so if that is added to your water, or is in the water in relatively high amounts naturally, it can be removed by the same methods as chlorine, at the same time. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”