mbc22488
Newly Registered

Very Sick Peace Plant

I just recieved a peace plant from a friend who recieved it at a funeral. She couldn't take care of it, so she gave it to me. I have a pretty good track record with plant care, but this one is stumping me. It is roughly 4 feet tall, but only has about 6 leaves on it. It has never flowered. The leaves feel thin and weak and even if it is appropriatley watered, it still droops. I even put a hoop on it to try to let the plant gain its strength back. What do I need to do to help this plant become more full and to stand on its own? I have fertalized it with my usual fertilizer, watered, moved it closer to a window, further away, and even outside for a few days (which backfired and caused black leaves...) WHat do you think?

lorax
Greener Thumb

What kind of soil is it in, and how big is the pot? It's sounding rootbound and overwatered to me, and it might be due for a complete soil change as well.... Peace Lilies are native to my neck of the woods; they grow in almost submerged soils with incredibly fast drainage.

I'd recommend the following:

1. Pull it out of its pot to check a few things. If you see roots, it's time to pot up - go for something that will give it about 2" of space all round.

2. If the soil when you pull it up is swamped or muddy in any way, you MUST change the soil or you'll lose the plant. The best mix I've ever used for Spathies is about 25% peat or coir, 25% small to medium orchid bark, 25% leaf mulch, and 25% compost, with a handful of activated charcoal thrown in. This is wicked fast draining, and loose enough to keep the roots aerated, which is important with Spathies.

3. If the soil is swampy or muddy in any way, stop watering until you can repot!

4. After that, leave it alone for a week or so! Too much change will result in a grumpy peace lily. You should start to see improvement around 7-8 days.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”