barbierogers
Newly Registered

Cleaning the mold under & around my patio pots

Our sprinklers are on 1 timer for the lawn (small) & our potted flowers. After a while ( winter months) the pots get saturated with water overflow and the patio has ugly green mold living under the pots (Terracotta).
1. How do I clean this up?
2. How do I prevent this from happening again.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's probably algae or moss, rather than mold. I use a pressure washer to clean it off. Actually, I hire someone with a pressure washer to clean it off my patio, patio furniture, plant containers, sidewalks, exterior house walls, etc. The stuff really is everywhere. :lol:

It doesn't look like terribly hard work, but I don't own a pressure washer, nor do I want one. I know I could rent one, but the guy next door already has the equipment and doesn't charge me all that much. I usually have it done every other year. To keep the place pristine would require having it done every year, but I'm not that concerned about it.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't clean your place every year. It's just that, in Oregon, moss and algae cover almost every surface in sight. I guess I'm used to the sight of it, and it doesnt really bother me. We joke about moss growing behind our ears and between our toes. ;)

barbierogers
Newly Registered

Thank You! I will get my patio power washed.....and from now on I will see a little green & be thankful for the fairies! I hope I don't hurt them & that they will return after being power-washed... :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ah, those moss and algae fairies are very prolific, and not a bit shy about moving back in after the place has been washed down.

My neighbor just uses plain water to clean my place, so nothing will damage my container plants, nor will the overspray and runoff contaminate the plants and soil in my yard. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will help if you lift your pots, so they aren't sitting directly on the patio. They make nice little pot feet for that, or you can set them on pebbles or whatever.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=pot%20risers&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pot+risers[/url]

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”