whitegerbera
Newly Registered

Two different kinds of mushrooms around my new vegetables?

Hello! First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm new to container gardening (okay, any kind of gardening).

Yesterday my vegetables looked great. I planted seeds several weeks ago and they're starting to sprout (beets and hot peppers). This morning my husband was watering them and noticed that two different kinds of mushrooms have started growing around them. One mushroom is yellow with white splotches, and is mostly cap (somewhat taller, not the very round kind). The other is more tan and black and is tall and skinny (it has a long stem and a flappy top part).

Are these harmful to my plants? Should I be worried or remove them? I definitely wouldn't consider eating them.

Any help is appreciated!

Crystal's Gardening
Newly Registered

I have never heard of mushrooms harming plants. I found this article online, hopefully this helps.

https://www.hortmag.com/weekly-tips/qa/attack-of-the-mushrooms

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've had the weird black spindly mushrooms. As soon as the sun falls upon them, they just sort of...collapse. Short life span! No problem for the plants. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The mushrooms will not harm your plants, but may be a sign you are keeping your soil too wet. Mushrooms thrive in damp, soggy areas; most plants don't.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”