stephensmat
Newly Registered

Small Pots

I have a container veggie garden because I have limited space.

Lately, I've been looking into alternatives to pots and such. Upside down planters for tomatoes and such.

I had a question about attempting a vertical garden. If I build it, I'll be using very small containers, about half the size of a small store bought one.

I wanted to ask, if the plants I seed in these containers will grow in a confined space? As I understand it, the roots will curl around and grow to the same length. The soil will be good, so will the water, and the plants in question will be small ones, which won't be top heavy.

So I don't think it'll cause much trouble, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Anyone doing something similar?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Depends what you want to put in the small containers. I use a bunch of containers big and small. Sometimes some containers might be on the small side for a plant but I really try to give them the best size possible. Like a regular tomato plant you do not wanna put it in anything less than 5 gallons, and even 5 gallons is probably gonna stunt the plant a little.

I am trying some dwarf tomatoes in small containers and going to put a "Hot Cherry" pepper in a 2 1/2 gallon pot. I hear the plant is on the small side, only reaching 18 inch, so it might grow OK but be a little stunted.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”