brandon558
Cool Member

Strawberry pots

I bought some started plants and put them in 2-3 gallon pots...is this plenty of space for strawberrys? This is my first time growing them.

Any container advise for strawberries would be great.

Thanks!

Also anyone had much luck planting the roots from lowes or walmart?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am starting up strawberries too. I got one of those strawberry pots that have several holes around the pot. Still not sure if strawberries grow fine in this. I am waiting to find out before I transplant.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My plants set fruit when placed in 1 gallon nursery pots, so three gallon should be more than adequate. I also grow 4-5 plants in 12" x 10" x 30" boxes and they do very well. When in individual pots, the plants will likely do better with morning sun only, after temperatures reach mid 80's or higher. I container grow both ever bearing and June bearing plants.

brandon558
Cool Member

alex---do yoiu buy the plants or plant the roots?

I saw the roots at lowes..but wasnt sure of they do well or not?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've most often bought bare rooted plants via mail order. Usually 90% or more do well upon transplanting. Some gardeners follow the general recommendation and pinch the blossoms during the first season. I always let the fruit set and have never seen any adverse effect as the plants set a heavy crop the second season, or in the fall if ever bearing.

After the first year, I always set a few pots of soil by my bed and set a runner in each. Those plants are used to start a fresh bed, renew old plants in an existing bed, or to share with friends. Plants tend to get tired after two or three season. By starting fresh plants from runners, it is easy to keep a healthy bed growing year after year.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I hear about keeping them in full sun. But you say when temps reach 80F or higher to only give them morning sun. Do they get burned when it is too hot?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Our sun gets brutal here in central South Carolina. Even when growing in the ground, the berry plants will wilt down in the hot afternoon sun, and in our sandy soil will show signs of stress. In containers the situation is much worse, and keeping the plants watered adequately is difficult. In warmer weather, my plants are always moved to the east side of a large oak tree where they only get morning sun. Those plants do much better than when left in the full sun all day. You may experiment in your area, but if the plants start wilting or showing signs of stress and you have a hard time keeping up with watering, move the plants out of the harsher afternoon sun.

jnunez918

I have a strawberry pot with the holes. I transplanted the plants I bought in fall and bought a few more to fill all the holes. All the plants from last year flowered and now have baby strawberries

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nice. I just transplanted all my strawberries a little bit ago. There is 9 holes around the pot and a bigger hole at the very top. I thought I had 8 plants, 2 in each pot but one had 3. So I was able to fill all 9 holes. The top I probably am going to put some chamomile or maybe some mini cukes.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”