ShastinaJ
Newly Registered

caring for an indoor ivy

I didn't see this topic anywhere, so I hope not creating a repeat thread.

I received a beautiful little ivy in a pot as a gift, and since I havn't had great luck with them in the past :( I would love some helpful advice on how to keep it happy. I have to keep it indoors since we still have snow here, just wondering - direct sun? moderate water? cooler temperature? Please help. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Shastina

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ivy will do well with general plant care. It doesn't require anything really special. I would give it moderate sun, such as in front of an east window. You could put it off to the side of a west or south window, unless the window is shaded. I don't think a north window would offer enough light. You can provide supplemental light, if your home is dark or you want the ivy in a darker area. My house has very large windows in all the rooms, so I don't have much experience with supplemental light. Many of our members do have knowledge of various lights for plants, and I'm sure they'll help you with suggestions.

Average house humidity should be fine, unless your home has forced-air heat, making the air in your home is very dry. In that case, you could use a humidity tray or spritz the plant with water once or twice a day. The dryness of the air wouldn't affect the plant, itself, so much, but dry air encourages pests such as spider mites. Ivy is especially susceptible to spider mites and mealy bugs.

Water the plant very thoroughly, so the water runs freely out the bottom of the pot. You want to make sure all the soil gets nicely wet, then let any excess water drain off. I usually carry my plants to the kitchen sink when I water them. That way, I don't have to limit the water, worrying about overflowing the saucer. Make sure the plants don't stand in water that collects in the saucer. Allow the soil to dry a bit before you water again. When the soil is dry to about 1" below the surface, it's time to water. You can check the dryness of the soil by digging into it with one of your fingertips.

HTH! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”