ButterflyGarden

Moving!!

We are moving the 2nd of April. Any tips on how to move my plants without killing them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My best suggestion for containers is to put something like a bamboo stake down into the container to the bottom. Loosely tie the plant to the stake with something soft (nylon knee high stockings work great for this, if you happen to have any around). This helps keep the plant from flopping around too much and perhaps getting broken. Then wrap the top of the container (not over the plant, just over the soil) with plastic wrap, so that the soil doesn't fall out if the container tips over. If the drainage holes aren't screened, perhaps put plastic wrap or something over the drain holes too. Don't water for at least a few days, to a week or so, before moving day. Your containers will be lighter and less messy if they are a bit dried out. Once the containers are moved and settled in their new spot, unwrap them and water well.

greenstubbs

You don't say what kind of plants, so I can only assume houseplants that aren't real fragile to some shock of movement. I have moved mine cross country a few times and have had good sucsess, even one trip in winter. I did take them into the hotel at night so they wouldn't freeze. I put them on the backseat floor of a car I was towing so that they were somewhat wedged between the seats and the center hump. If it's a sunny day and this is a long trip, crack both windows so they don't cook and get air flow to them. Treat the car as a rolling greenhouse for your plants and adjust as needed. As mentioned above about watering, etc. apply. Depending on temps and all is the big worry, just take a look at them at each gas stop, they should do fine.

ButterflyGarden

Ok, I have garlic, Passion fruit, a large jasmine, chives, rosemary, basil and my house plants are aloe and a spider plant. ( I also hope to have some peas by the time I move.) I am moving within the neighborhood but do not have a car. I may need to let the movers transport at least the bigger plants.

If I unwind the jasmine from where it is now and twist it around the pole of the pergola in my new apartment will it take hold?

greenstubbs

Moving a tree, I've never moved anything that big. A short distance they will be fine. Just give them special handling.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes re the jasmine. Since it climbs just by twining (not suckers or anything), you can untwist it and then twist it back to something else. I have done it. My potbound jasmine didn't bloom, but it grew like crazy and since it is not winter hardy, it got moved in and out twice a year.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Make sure the plants are transported either in your car or if it's a truck, they must be covered. The wind can kill them.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”