PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

WHat to put in 15 gallon container?

Hi,

What could I grow in this besides a tree, tomatoes, or peppers? Also the container is more deep than wide.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You want a veggie? I'd put some kind of trailing flowering plant in it, maybe nasturtiums. The stems would be pretty draped over the sides of the container. You could even add those leaves and flowers to salads, if you like. But there are many, many different varieties of flowers that would be pretty.

If you can rig up a trellis, you might grow a nice batch of beans or peas in a container that size. Just a couple of ideas. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

First make the container lighter by putting empty water or pop sealed bottles in the bottom before you add the dirt. Peas climbing beans even a punpkin!. Cucumbers would grow good!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I don't have my measuring tape handy but I'd guess it is 14 inch across and about 16 inch deep. I might be also interested in a shrub/small tree now, or anything else besides tomatoes and peppers. Would this be a good pot for Echinacea or Valerian?

I am just trying to find something that would appreciate the size of this container and fill it out nicely.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've not grown valerian, but echinacea should do fine in the container. Unless you feel the need to carry the pot around after you plant it, fill the whole thing with soil. Give whatever you plant a real chance to succeed. :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah this year I want to get into some tea making. So any herbs that I could use for tea would be a bonus. I wanted to do Echincea but I heard the root gets large.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The root system is large and fibrous, so you would want to put only one echinacea plant in your container. I'm a bit curious why you would want to grow this in a container, since they like well-drained sandy soil. I think that's probably what you have in the ground there.

A sage plant might be nice. It's a versatile plant and forms a semi-woody shrub about 3 feet wide. One plant might be nice in your container. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lavender and rosemary also make good sized shrubs where you are and could be done one plant in your pot. But the same things applies to them about the well drained sandy soil.... If you put something like that in your container, don't use potting soil, or not pure. You could use cactus mix or possibly half and half of cactus mix and potting soil. Or you could plant them in the ground if you have room.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Once you get used to this 14" container, PR, you will want more! I now have about 150 containers for the herbs, from 10" on up. The small ones are the start early/late may need to be moved or live inside for the winter.

There are several ways to go with your larger one. Use it as a mini-garden. I love the look of several herbs in one container to get texture, color, shorts, talls, trailings etc. This grouping could include (some not all) thyme, marjoram, oregano, chives, tarragon. It can also contain a spreading type such as mint. I have several that are just one type.

This is also a good place for the larger herbs. A pineapple sage will do your pot justice! I have several p sage, (will decrease this year and replace with something that sells better!). It seems it gets as big as its environment, that being stays smallish in 12" container, gets bigger in larger area or ground. A rosemary may do well, if you don't already have one. I have a very large one in ground, plan to put a couple more in. Also one in a very large container that will stay there.

As for dirt for your pot.... I use the cheap bagged top soil plus other stuff. I fill the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 with that. Then work in other stuff depending on plant. There is usually some composted cotton burr, worm castings, and what ever other enriching stuff I have around, and a few earth worms.

Another tip is to have the pot up off the ground, no saucer. You can put a few bricks, pieces of wood or whatever under it. I have most of mine up on pallets.

Remember, the garden and container gardens are forever morphing. Some things do, some don't, some get pulled out, etc. What is just right this year may be out-of whack next as one thing bullies and takes over. Some of your plants in smaller containers may be begging for a spot in the bigger one!

Hope this helps

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I like the Tarragon and Oregano suggestion. I am also thinking of just doing a dwarf tree. Maybe a meyers lemon or dwarf pomegranate. Anyone got small fruit tree suggestions? The potting soil I have available is made os mostly wood and compost.

Tonio
Green Thumb

How about a dwarf banana?

Are you in the Cajon zone- El Cajon?

T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

No I am in the San Fernando Valley.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”