dsyukon

5 Gallon Selfwatering Planter

Hello ,
Has anyone tried the 5 gal. bucket planter for tomatoes, pepper (jal.) bell peppers ?
I would like to try a few patio tomato plants determinate and some peppers . I have the seedlings planted for the peppers and the squash, But I think I will put most of the squash in the ground. My cuousin has been prety successful in planting watermelons in East Texas and he feels that all of the potting soils are a waste. But I don't really know if he knows what he is talking about when it comes to the plants that I want to plant. He thinks that all I need to do is till the soil and add 13-13-13 . Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In my experience peppers do pretty well in containers, though the plant may not get as big as ones in the ground.

One year I tried growing a tomato in a container on the patio. It just dried out so fast (and I don't even live in TX!). Every afternoon it would be all wilty from lack of water. It really didn't produce much because of that. The self watering container would help as would giving it some afternoon shade.

dsyukon

Good morning rainbowgardener ,

Hopefully the selfwatering concept will assist in the hydration and I agree that the plant will not get as large in the bucket as opposed to being in the ground. I will plant some in buckets and also in the ground. I live in the city and don't have very much space in the yard with the wifey's daycare business all of the swings and toys in the yard. But I am go cut a area for a maybe a 4 ft. wide and about 20 ft. long. We will see, Thank you for the assist.

Have A Happy Gardening Weekend :D :D

nancygene

From everything that I have read, vegetables do not get as large and bountiful in a traditional container because they do not get the water they need as they will in a selfwatering planter. If you put them in a traditional container, you will need to water them at least twice a day and as your season heats up, you will probably need to water them three times a day. Food plants need more water than flowering plants which is why food plants do not do as well in traditional containters because the water drains out too fast for the plants to get the hydration they need.

FL Grower
Newly Registered

When I started growing in containers, I found out that the dirt would dry out a lot quicker. I think it's because the planter gets hot in the sun and water evaporates a lot quicker. If the plants do not receive adequate water, they do not grow as big as if grown directly in dirt.

I have had very good results when I used a water reservoir with a timer to water/feed the plants. Twice a day the plants get watered/fed. The water has soluble fertilizer so the plants get all the nutrients needed every day.

m00s3

m00s3 wrote:thanks all for the helpful responses. the 11in isn't really working out as my brothers pup had fun chewing on some its leaves because it was too close to the ground

I wound up putting two more of my jalepenos and one tomatoe into a 5 gallon self water bucket system

[img]https://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1779/container1web.jpg[/img]

and on of the completed ones
[img]https://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4028/25cd8cceb0c311e1a92a123.jpg[/img]

I am having some algae growth on the top bit of soil but everything seems to be draining well. any tips to get rid of the green?

Spyderco1116

I have everything in containers. Peppers, (hot cherry, long hots, jalepenos & bell) tomatoes, basil, eggplant, cucumbers & strawberries. Everything is doing very well and this is the first time I'm growing in containers. I will have to try and post some pics. I have tried the self watering 5 gallon container on the eggplant but thats all. It's doing great. Everything else is in a regular 5 gallon bucket. (watering from the top) My mix is potting soil, perlite & peat moss. I fertilize every week and water every night and sometimes in the morning especially the tomatoes and also if need be during the day. Just keep everything watered and you'll be fine. Hopefully b=next year I will have a compost. Right now I am waiting on someone with a compost to give me a couple gallons so I can make tea for the veggies. Hope this helped. Lots of luck to you!!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The only possible problem that I see with the self water system as described is in the use of the 'recycled' water. Constantly using the overflow water could cause salts build up in the soil. This could especially become a problem is using less than soft well water or municipal water. Personally, I would use the overflow water on some other plants so as to disrupt the loop of using the same water over and over.

Spyderco1116

I use the 2 bucket system with a wicking basket...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Could you provide details or a link?

Spyderco1116

https://www.mybalconyjungle.com/self_watering.html

This is very similar to what I use. Only thing I use 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe. Also don't forget to drill a hole in the bottom bucket where the water sits for overflow. You wanna make the hole a quarter inch below where the top bucket ends on the bottom one.

Spyderco1116

Also go toy youtube and check out the Urban Organic Gardener. He shows you how to make one also. There are many different variations.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”