Intriguedbybonsai

What vegetables do well in containers

I have a dream of owning my own house one day, but for the time being I am renting from an apartment. My only source of outside space is my balcony which receives a lot of sunlight each day.

A couple of years prior I grew cucumbers, and tomatoes on trellises, but what else does well in containers? Right now I have my eyes set upon watermelon, cantaloupe, squash, eggplant, peppers(both hot and sweet), carrots, and maybe some beans. Would I have any problem growing these in pots?

I know the watermelon or cantaloupe idea may be a little farfetched. I was hoping maybe a pillow of some sort could cradle the melon. Any ideas?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Climbing beans and peas should grow well! Pasley is excellent in containers. Nasturtiums are not only beautiful in conainers but you can eat the whole plant even flowers and all and they thrive even in a little shade! Tomato will do well!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198283#198283]Here's a thread[/url] about growing vegetables in containers. I discussed the findings presented in The Bountiful Container, a terrific book on--what else?--container gardening.

HTH.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"watermelon, cantaloupe, squash, eggplant, peppers(both hot and sweet), carrots, and maybe some beans. Would I have any problem growing these in pots? "

Watermelon seems pretty farfetched, those vines get huge and they need a lot of soil, canteloupe still pretty marginal. But zucchinis and cucumbers would do well in a good sized container with a trellis. Peppers do very well in containers and beans. Things like the zukes, beans, tomatoes are better for containers because they keep producing. Carrots you grow one carrot in that spot and then you pull it and it is gone/done and it takes up that spot for many months in the meantime. So one 5 five gallon container, tied up all season would maybe produce you 6 - 7 carrots.

Herbs are good in containers - basil, oregano, sage, parsley, etc etc.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I have tried squash cantaloupe watermelon in pots with not much success. Peppers carrots garlic did great. I grow tomatoes garlic horseradish and shallots every year in them with good results. Use a good mix 50 per compost 25 percent vermiculite and 25 percent peat moss. this mix can be played with. I keep all my stuff on a drip system and they do very well.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

For cucumbers look for Spacemaster seeds. I don't know if there's a dwarfish version of zucchini.
There are peas that are short vines that the catalogs say don't need staking. (I would though).
Radishes are quick and fun too.
There's a cantaloupe called Minnesota Midget that might work.

Intriguedbybonsai

Thanks for the link, Cynthia_H.

Well I purchased a few seed packets today (Burpee brand), and some have a picture of a pot with a check mark across it. I assume this is for fruits, and veggies that are okay for containers. Then I found a watermelon variety called "Sugar Baby". The packet had the picture of the pot with a check mark. So quite naturally I bought it.

I know a lot of you say that watermelon should be avoided, but I love to experiment with things. I'm not looking to have a large bountiful harvest with watermelon, and I know there are some miniature varieties out there. And I know that growing something as large as say the "Carolina Cross" is just plain foolish.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You can grow dwarf melons if you have the right pot size and a good trellis. I am gonna grow minnesota midget. I believe the fruits only get to about a pound. Peppers work fine in pots basil does too. I think lettuce and spinach would be fine in pots also. I have seen people grow both radish and carrots in pots. Could try some bush beans in pots.

quiltbea

In large pots (10 and 12") I've grown determinate tomatoes (which just need a medium cage around them or a short stake) and peppers very successfully. This year I intend to add eggplant to the container list since they require warmer nights (60* and above) and we often don't get them here in Maine. I can bring the eggplant pots inside on cooler nights. I hope to increase my harvest this year.
I also grew some herbs: thyme, basil, chives, parsley in pots and was able to bring them inside to thrive much longer thru the winter. They are inside now and I cut fresh herbs when needed for meals.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”