Franco

Hoya disease I.D./Help

Hello everybody. My mother has two hoya plants in her dining room, and one of them has a little something something on a few of its leaves. I don't know what it is or what do to with it. Any advice would be great, thank you.

[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/DaRealFranzy/DSCN0582.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like a fungal disease to me, possibly Rhizoctonia aerial blight. The roundish spots are typical of that disease. They eventually blend together and make sections, or even the entire leaf, appear brown and dried.

The cure is a good fungicide, but it must be applied as a spray to the leaves and also as a drench to the soil. I don't have experience treating this disease on hoyas, so I can't really recommend a specific fungicide. A solution of milk and water often works well, but I'm not sure I would want to spray and drench my indoor plants with milk in the wintertime. They might end up smelling like sour milk. [img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/dunno.gif[/img]

Hoyas become especially susceptible to fungal diseases during the winter months. The lower intensity of the light is one factor, but overwatering the plants is often another factor. Fungal problems are almost a given if both conditions exist together. Hoyas like to have their soil allowed to dry between waterings. This is particularly important during the cold months when the light is dimmer. Plants use significantly less water when they are in lower light.

Franco

Thank you very much. Have you ever used the product Fungonil? I think I have some of it lying around the house. Also, do you think putting a fan near the plant would help at all, considering it would reduce humidity and create air flow?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm not familiar with that fungicide. Sorry. Be careful about using it if it's more than 2 years old, or if it has been exposed to very high or low temperatures. Chemicals can break down with age or extremes in temperatures, and if that has happened, the mixture could do more harm than good. It might be better to invest in something fresh. Neem oil might be a good choice, but read the label carefully to make sure it will serve your purpose.

Yes, a fan would be a help. Also, of course, reduce the frequency of watering the hoyas, but don't stop watering them entirely. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”