OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

EarthBox

So I just seen this things online and just right now I found out how it works and make one, but does it work, is it beneficial and does anyone own one? I'm planing on making one for spring, but it takes some materials and want to see if its worth making it.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I have a few friends that use them and they do very well. There secret is in there soil mixtures.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right. Other than the soil mixture, it is just a self watering container. You can make your own easily. Gardener's Supply sells a conversion kit to convert any container to self watering:

https://www.gardeners.com/Adjustable-Reservoir/PotsPlanters_SelfWateringPlanters,34-507RS,default,cp.html

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well I want to know if they have a big impact on the plants as I've seen some eaethboxes for about 50+ dollars and ifbthere thay price they must do something un ordinary

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Not necessarily do the earth boxes, or any self-watering containers do anything special. I tried self-watering boxes for a couple of years and had poor success with them. Some of my plants died outright, and others performed poorly. I found it difficult to the point of impossible to accurately control the moisture content of the soil.

There may be some plants, such as tomatoes, that will do well, simply because they rapidly produce large root systems that absorb a lot of water. It's my opinion, though, that other species, those with smaller root systems and/or that require less water, might not fare so well in earth boxes.

Build one and give it a try. If you like it and your plants do well, you can always build more. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well I'm going to give it a try with the tomatoes

4tanks1
Newly Registered

I have several Earth Boxes, I have been growing tomatoes all winter in three of them in a small greenhouse. It has been my experience that when planting in an Earth Box and planting in the garden, the same plant in the Earth Box grows twice as fast as the plant in the garden. I'm pretty sure this is because the soil in the Earth Box is a lot warmer sooner than in the garden.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That wasn't quite clear. When you are comparing EarthBox to garden, is that also the difference between greenhouse and outdoor garden? If your Earthboxes are in the greenhouse and your garden plants are not, that would account for a lot of the difference. The greenhouse is a nice warm, toasty, protected environment, regardless of EarthBox.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Yeah I bet they would do better in a greenhouse. I have a buddy that does that also and he uses a aquarium heater in the water of the earthbox says the same thing it grows great and helps keep his green house a little warmer.

jamiea
Newly Registered

I've been much happier with my Earthbox plants than other raised bed (soil gets so compacted over time).
Just wish they were cheaper and had them in bigger sizes. (although just learned of a $10 similar version here I might try from Lowes).

I've found when I empty them every season, and refresh them, the plants keep growing well.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”