BirdofParadise

Grow light

I was considering getting a 250w HPS bulb to help my Bird of Paradise grow foliage to prepare to flowering in the future years. Is it necessary to get a ballast for a bulb like this or can I just plug it into a lamp? If I need one, what is my best bet?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I am not sure of prices where you are but it might be cheaper to get an ott light (full spectrum) on a 50% off coupon at micheals or Joann fabric, since I would suggest a ballist for what you are talking about.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

typically no - you can't just screw it into a std lamp socket.

I've not seen an HPS bulb with an integrated ballast/etc - but that's no to say a version is not on the market.

BirdofParadise

https://www.prolighting.com/soush250q-k.html
Would that do? I've noticed that Ballasts stop looking like Ballasts below 400w. Look at the picture of that thing, I don't see how it's a Ballast at all.

You will need a Ballast with any HPS bulb.

If you need lighting advice I can help.

MrBote

For anything under say, 500 watts, and provided you are handy, you can make your own grow light with HO cfl's and enjoy dual functionality of being able to choose different spectrums, such as those that are optimal between both vegetative and bloom stages and any combination thereof. This is my tomato starter light and it kicks butt. I think there is 5 of 6 120 watt equivalent cfls pictured here. After 4 seasons of use, I am about to change the bulbs out for newer, more potent ones so I am just using these for random shop bulbs after the fact.

It's made of scraps of 3/8" plywood I had laying around and some utility sockets from the hardware store.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”