mitzi56

still a problem

ok so I am here closely watching my umbrella tree which is in a pot away from my windows and only getting water when the first 5 inches of topsoil feel dry and yet the umbrella tree is shedding like crazy, what am I doing wrong?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How large is the container? I would give it water when the top 1 or 2 inches of soil felt dry, depending on the size of the container.

Water it thoroughly, until the water runs freely from the drainage holes. Then wait until the soil is somewhat dry again. Never let it stand in water for more than a few minutes. :)

mitzi56

when I first started asking about why my umbrella tree was dropping its leaves, someone suggested taking it away from my south window and making sure the bottom of the plant did not have sitting water, so I removed the pot holder on the bottom, took the plant outside and removed it from its pot and the roots did appear a bit wet still, so I left it outside until the roots had a chance to dry a bit, then put it back in tis pot and gave it like 1 cup of water, as it is in a 3 gallon pot right now and it is turning yellow and still continues to drop many leaves. Is there any other small tree like plant I can try that will tolerate a lot of misting and not need too much light? it has to grow to be around 3-3.5 ft high at least. This plant will be used for a chameleon cage eventually and will have a uvb light around a ft above the top of it and a heating lamp as well for about 8 hours a day. There will also be misting system in place to go off for about 20 seconds several times a day. I would also like to try moss on the base of the cage. any ideas out there?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”