OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Why are 90% of Containers Brown?

Why are 90% of the Pots containers made of a light brown clay? Is there a reason behind that? and what are they called?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The clay is called "terra cotta", and as I recall from the last time I bought some to make pottery, it's inexpensive compared to the white stoneware types of clays. That is probably because there is less demand for it. I'm particularly fond of it for certain projects, though. They use it to make flower pots because they can be sold cheaply and if they break, it's not a disaster to most people.

The reason for making containers out of clay is that it allows better air circulation to the roots of plants, and it allows moisture to evaporate faster. Those properties help prevent root rot. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

So the Clay Will Evaporate some moisture in the Soil? and Inexpensive you say, cuz I seen them very expensive at homedepot and Lowes but I do notice that water does goes away from the clay quick

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The terra cotta (really a very orange-y brown or earthy orange) is porous and therefore breathable, allows air and water to escape, slowly.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Try Wal-Mart, they sell those pots much cheaper there.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I wemt to walmart and they had 12 pots in 1 pakage but no price no tag, nothing and for some odd reason no one helped me on finding out so I left. -__- I'm thinking of going to like a 99cent store or dollar tree maybe they will have it, plus I need some gardening tools

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What kind of stuff do you wanna grow in pots? Some plants need a certain size to grow well.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Actually its Oregano just bought it, but I'm looking for the right conditions like pot, soil, sun and heat.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can probably use a plastic pot for your oregano. I only use clay pots for cacti and succulents. Everything else I grow in plastic. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

What Would Be The Difference in Usage of Clay vs Plastic?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”