MrB
Newly Registered

How to propagate Sago Palm in container? & related Q's

I'd hate to think I'd posted this in the wrong forum, but thats perhaps an indication of my "newb-osity". :shock:

I have a sago palm (small and indoors), and a sucker has developed. It's not pup growth, its a sucker, and I can post a pic if requested. I've been told that I can snap it off and root it with the aid of some hormones (miracle grow was even suggested as a hormone).

I'd like to grow a second plant, but I want other opinions before I "snap" anything off. So, the questions become: Can I plant a sucker? Snap vs cut? Propogate in water or soil? And what kind of hormone?

If I've wandered into the wrong forum, please give me the high-sign and I'll move this elsewhere.

CHEERS :!:

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

t all depends whether the growth has its own rooting system then tranplanting would be no problem. All you need is a good soil medium and bone meal.

I have no clue how you would actually transplant the actual plant except maybe to cut the pod into pieces.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote: I spoke to my sago about putting out suckers, but she didn't seem interested. You must be providing a better environment for your plant!
:)

I know nothing about sago palms, but I think I read somewhere that in general suckering is a sign of fast vegetative growth and perhaps excess nutrients that the main plant can't use. Maybe Mr. B has been treating his sago to some of that Miracle-Gro ?

applestar
Mod

6 months to develop roots, huh?
I wonder if air-layering technique would work in this case so it would have pre-developed roots before being cut off. :?:

MrB
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:
Marlingardener wrote: I spoke to my sago about putting out suckers, but she didn't seem interested. You must be providing a better environment for your plant!
:)

I know nothing about sago palms, but I think I read somewhere that in general suckering is a sign of fast vegetative growth and perhaps excess nutrients that the main plant can't use. Maybe Mr. B has been treating his sago to some of that Miracle-Gro ?
Actually I did just replant it - in retail potting soil made by Miracle Grow - about 10 weeks ago. It seems to like it. This plant is quite small and so the sicker is nowhere near x cm's across. Its about the diameter of a carpenters pencil lead. I wish I could figure out how to insert a pic so you might have a clearer idea than what I'd tried to describe.[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Detailed instructions for posting photos here are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members, along with some other stuff that is worth reading. It's amazing how no one ever looks at that... :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”