yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

nasturtium leaves turning yellow - help!

Hi guys

My nasturtiums were doing so well. Shot up so quickly. But now some of the leaves are turning yellow and getting papery. Is this just the cycle of life? or am I doing something wrong? I planted the seeds about 2 months ago and the plants are about 4-5 inches tall. They're in containers in a south facing window. I just put them in ordinary potting mix and have not added fertilizer or anything additional as I've heard they like tough love. I spray them with water every couple of days. The soil is definitely not damp.

What can I be doing wrong?

Thanks!
Yonnie

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You do give them some water, right? Like all living things, they need some water, just not a whole lot. Water the soil thoroughly, until the water runs freely from the bottom of the container. Don't let them stand in water. Then don't water again until the soil is dry to about an inch below the surface. Personally, I wouldn't bother with spraying/misting the leaves. :)

yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

yes - I do give them some water :)

Just every few days. I've noticed the yellowing leaves are the ones on the bottom of the branches. The top ones remain unaffected.

Any idea what's causing it? Thanks Kisal!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The only other possibility I can think of would be soil that's too rich, which could mean it might be too acidic. What kind of soil did you plant them in? It should have very little peat moss. If the potting mix you used has a lot of peat moss, it would help to add some sand and fine gravel, or even some perlite. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Are you watering them every few days, or did I misunderstand your above post? That could be too much, if you're watering them deeply, as you should. If you're watering shallowly, I.e. just giving them a little water on the surface of the soil every few days, the deepest roots might not be getting enough water. It's better to water deeply, but not as often. That way, the entire root ball is getting plenty of water, but you let the surface dry down to about an inch deep, before you water again. :)

yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

ah.. maybe I'm not watering deeply enough. OK - I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thank you Kisal! :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have been groin them for years and the old leaves always turn yellow! Just clip them off! The green ones are great in salads and also the flowers!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”