bromsgrove61

Clematis Abilene

Hi

I had Clematis Abilene growing in the ground and thought it would look better in a pot on the patio next year so I dug it up and potted it this week.

The leaves looked a little fungal and the stems were looking a little rotten, TBH it was a little worse for wear as it flowered too early and was not it the right soil or position.

Anyhow, I decided that I needed to cut it right back to an inch or two above the soil. Yes, I know I should have cut it back to 12" above soil but I didn't - I really do believe the 12" stem just didn't look good.

Also, instructions state to cut back in Spring... Autumn just started here.

So now it's in a pot with fresh soil/compost mix with plenty of pellet food and with new wig-wam cane to grow up next spring.

My question is will it grow or has my cutting it back to ground level done more damage than it can recover from?

Many thanks in anticipation of any responses.

bromsgrove61

Anyone? :idea:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know that your plant won't recover, but you've already potted it and cut it back. What's done is done, so all you can do at this point is wait and see.

I'm not familiar with C. Abilene. All I have are C. Jackmanii. I have cut them back to just above the soil level, and I have cut them back at the wrong time of year. They recovered just fine. I've never dug one up and potted it though, and I would be concerned about fertilizing it this late in the year. But you can't very well take the fertilizer out of the soil now, so all you can do is wait and see what happens next year. :)

bromsgrove61

Thanks Kisal.

It has given me some hope in knowing that you've cut a clematis right back and at the wrong time of the year.

I guess I will just have to wait and see and at ...£17GBP I had better keep my fingers crossed too :cry:

bromsgrove61

Hi.

Just to give you all some feedback, spring is now 4 weeks or so away and I have got around 10 new shoots emerging from the soil approx 5cm high - well I only had 4 shoots last year when I purchased it so I am really happy.

Whether or not it will grow tall enough and flower by May is another question I will have to wait and see.... will let you all know early summer.

:)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm glad to hear your clematis is sprouting up again! I've never grown one in a container, so I'd love to hear how it progresses. It would be great if you could post some pics, too. :)

bromsgrove61

Can someone tell me how I post photos please... Cant figure it out :?:

:oops: [/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Posting Pictures & Photos[/url]

HTH! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”